Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2154 Discussions

PS 2020 + IVF + MS VS 2019 + MPI

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Could you please add to the VS IDE Project integration a property pull down for Language (or wherever) an option to configure for MPI.
Also add a command prompt launch that configures for MPI

An additional feature to consider (which may be too much to ask) is for the MS VS IDE to be able to Debug launch an MPI application and automatically open a debug window for each process (even if this must be restricted to the localmachine). While this can be done manually via Debug | Attach to Process, (then select all of the launched processes) it is a bit cumbersome. This works, but I also need to add helper code to the application:

logical, volatile :: DebugWait = .true.

call MPI_INIT(ierr)
    call MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, myid, ierr)
    call MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD, numprocs, ierr)

do while(DebugWait)
        CALL sleepqq(100) ! for all processes set DebugWait = .false.
    END DO

This too is a bit cumbersome.

Following this, it would be nice too if the developer could have (a means to) perform debugging to all processes (as well as the one in focus). Note, currently one must: Debug | Break All, then walk through each image setting the local DebugWait=.false., then walk through each image adding/removing break points. It would be handy to have a means to apply action to all images (this will require all images be the same .exe)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RahulV_intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We will take your feature requests to the concerned team.

--Rahul

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I wish to modify my suggestion.

>>automatically open a debug window for each process

Most of the time debugging will occur using the same (or copy of same) image. An initial single Debug window would be more useful as the same source code is involved. No sense in having n Windows all showing a break at the same location. At times it may be useful to having multiple sessions though not necessarily one per process (it may be handy to group.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Klaus-Dieter_O_Intel

Thanks for your suggestions. I created two internal feature requests.

0 Kudos
Klaus-Dieter_O_Intel

I am sorry, but there are no plans to implement the features in the foreseeable future.

0 Kudos