Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Parallel Studio XE cluster ed VS oneAPI HPC Toolkit?

j0e
New Contributor I

Just doing my usual upgrading of PS XE Cluster to 2020, but now notice there is an option to install oneAPI HPC Toolkit (instead?).

Some quick searches would indicate that the oneAPI HPC has all the capabilities as PS, but it sounds like oneAPI facilitates building parallel code that works more "magically" across diverse parallel architectures (correct me where I'm wrong in this simple statement please). 

Some context. I currently code almost exclusively in Fortran and target CPU clusters and my problems are mostly Control of PDEs. I've attempted to leverage GPUs (well, Xeon Phi's), but I've never been able to leverage them adequately, so gave up on both the software and hardware side of that, which oneAPI sounds like it could facilitate (but I'm very skeptical). I have a couple of questions regarding oneAPI install:

1. It sounds like oneAPI is also integrated into Visual Studio 2019. I that true? I tend to develop MPI/openMP code under windows, then port to CentOS cluster for production runs.
  2. Will Parallel Studio XE be phase out?
  3. How much am I going to swear at my computer/Intel if I move to oneAPI instead of staying with PS XE Cluster 2020? That is, is everything working as well as under PS XE? I will be installing on both Windows and CentOS cluster.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
j0e
New Contributor I

I found this, which answers the difference between the two: https://techdecoded.intel.io/essentials/introducing-next-gen-development-tools-for-hpc

Since I'm just using CPUs at this time, and ifx is still beta, there doesn't seem to be much of a need to install oneAPI HPC at this time for my needs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
j0e
New Contributor I

I found this, which answers the difference between the two: https://techdecoded.intel.io/essentials/introducing-next-gen-development-tools-for-hpc

Since I'm just using CPUs at this time, and ifx is still beta, there doesn't seem to be much of a need to install oneAPI HPC at this time for my needs.

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Joe,

Glad you have found the answer yourself from the available Intel Videos.

But I am still answering your questions just to be sure:

Q) It sounds like oneAPI is also integrated into Visual Studio 2019. I that true? I tend to develop MPI/OpenMP code under windows, then port to CentOS cluster for production runs.

A) Yes, OneAPI integrates into Visual Studio as an extension during installation.

Q) How much am I going to swear at my computer/Intel if I move to oneAPI instead of staying with PS XE Cluster 2020? That is, is everything working as well as under PS XE? I will be installing on both Windows and CentOS cluster.

A) Currently both PSXE and OneAPI may have common features but they are not the same. You should consider all the software/hardware prerequisites if you want to switch.

Hence You have already found the answers you are looking for we are closing the thread and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos