Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2153 Discussions

Program froze when using MPICH_ASYNC_PROGRESS

black__edgar
Beginner

Hi all,

I am having a problem when the MPICH_ASYNC_PROGRESS  (or I_MPI_ASYNC_PROGRESS) environment variable is set on; the program freeze and I have to kill it.

Have anyone experience this problem.

This is the version of the Intel compiler and Intel MPI library producing the problem:

icc (ICC) 2021.1 Beta 20201112
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel(R) MPI Library for Linux* OS, Version 2021.1 Build 20201112 (id: b9c9d2fc5)
Copyright 2003-2020, Intel Corporation.

I have experienced this problem ever since I updated from:

icc (ICC) 19.1.3.304 20200925
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel(R) MPI Library for Linux* OS, Version 2019 Update 9 Build 20200923 (id: abd58e492)
Copyright 2003-2020, Intel Corporation.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the confirmation.

As the issue has been resolved, we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

Regards

Prasanth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Edgar,

The additional features like multiple-endpoints and async threads are supported in release_mt and debug_mt versions only, as mentioned in the developer reference (Asynchronous Progress Control (intel.com)).

To enable those two library configurations, use this command:

source <install-dir>/env/vars.sh release

For more information on selecting library configuration please refer : Selecting a Library Configuration (intel.com)

If you are already enabled those configurations and still facing issues, please provide the log info you will get after setting I_MPI_DEBUG=10.

eg: export I_MPI_DEBUG=10

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
black__edgar
Beginner

Hi Prasanth,

Thank you for your advice. It fixed the problem.

I was using the wrong configuration script;

Instead of using: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2021.1.1/env/vars.sh

I was using : /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh

I also notice that you do not actually need the "release" parameter. Could this be correct?

Thank you again.

Edgar

0 Kudos
black__edgar
Beginner

Hi Prasanth,

Here is an update of my previous post. The problem is not fixed just by changing the configuration script.

I was fooled by cmake mixing the Intel compiler and the gcc mpich library. That is what worked for me before.

After further exploration, I also set the mpi configuration script (/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.1.1/env/vars.sh) with the release_mt  parameter you suggested before as shown here:

/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.1.1/env/vars.sh -i_mpi_library_kind=release_mt

if "release" is used instead of "release_mt" the program freeze.

Thanks again,

Edgar

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Edgar,

In the command i mentioned, I have given release as an example. To use async progress we have either set the library configuration to release_mt or debug_mt.

source <install-dir>/env/vars.sh release_mt

If this doesn't fix your problem, please let us know.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
black__edgar
Beginner

Hi Prasanth,

Yes. The problem is gone.

The problem was produced by a bad setting of the configuration scripts.

Thanks,

Edgar

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the confirmation.

As the issue has been resolved, we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos