Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Re-opening: I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR

DomH
Novice

I am reopening the previous issue by @kgerheiser because this is still an issue we are seeing. Full details are in https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-oneAPI-HPC-Toolkit/I-MPI-SUBSTITUTE-INSTALLDIR/m-p/1363427/thread-id/9210

We would like to understand why there is a need to keep I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR in the MPI compiler wrappers instead of replacing them with the actual install directory during the install process (similar to what is done for EXEC_PREFIX_TO_BE_FILLED_AT_INSTALL_TIME__).

If there is no real need for it, can this be changed? The way it is currently it breaks large community software managers like spack, and although we have found a workaround it's far less from ideal.

Thanks very much in advance.

Dom

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR is not a variable of Intel MPI Library. We assume it is a variable provided by spack. This forum is intended to support the queries related to the Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit and other Intel oneAPI products. So, could you please let us know whether you have any other issues with Intel oneAPI products? If not, could you please confirm whether to close this thread from our end?

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
DomH
Novice

This statement is or maybe least was as recently as a few weeks not correct. spack has nothing to do with I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR except fixing its occurrence in the Intel MPI wrappers. I just searched a Intel OneAPI Base+HPC Toolkit installation on a Linux HPC; this version was installed using the Intel installers, i.e. it knows nothing about spack:

heinzell@cheyenne4:/glade/work/heinzell/intel-oneapi-2022.1.1> grep -Rie I_MPI_SUBST .

./mpi/latest/bin/mpiicpc:prefix=I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR
./mpi/latest/bin/mpif77:prefix=I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR
./mpi/latest/bin/mpigcc:prefix=I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR
./mpi/latest/bin/mpiicc:prefix=I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR
./mpi/latest/bin/mpif90:prefix=I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR
./mpi/latest/bin/mpiifort:prefix=I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR
./mpi/latest/bin/mpigxx:prefix=I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR
^C

This version is recent:

heinzell@cheyenne4:/glade/work/heinzell/intel-oneapi-2022.1.1> ls -la .
total 125
drwxr-xr-x 28 heinzell ncar 4096 Mar 4 15:26 .

Then I did the same on my macOS for the latest version available as of April 29, 2022, and I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR can't be found anywhere

So there are two options: (1) it got fixed on your end between March4 and April 29, or (2) there is a bug that doesn't occur on all systems, in particular not on my Macbook, but on the NCAR Cheyenne HPC.

0 Kudos
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for your update. 

We are able to see the I_MPI_SUBSTITUTE_INSTALLDIR in the MPI Wrapper. 

Could you please provide the following details to investigate more on your issue?

1) Spack version you are using.

2) Screenshot of the error while installing the Intel MPI.

3) Steps to reproduce the error at our end.

4) OS details.

>>"there is a bug that doesn't occur on all systems, in particular not on my Macbook, "

Unfortunately, we don't support Intel MPI on Mac Os.

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Could you please provide the steps to reproduce your issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. This thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos