Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Redistributable info, missing component

Patrick_L_1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm looking at including the intel mpi as part of our software package, this way the end-user do not have to install the MPI components on his system.
We will of course include this in the 3rd party EULA of our software.

However:

- The "redist.txt" file of the intel MPI folder list the files which are OK to include in our package.  But the file bin/pmi_proxy.exe seems missing from the list.  It is required to run local computations (-localonly)

- What are the pitfalls of bundling the MPI components with the software distribution?  any environment variables to set-up?
      If it is sufficient, we would end up simply launching mpiexec with a full path   ( C:/Program Files/OurSoftware/MPI/Intel/intel64/bin/mpiexec.exe ...)

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Patrick,

Regarding to:

The "redist.txt" file of the intel MPI folder list the files which are OK to include in our package.  But the file bin/pmi_proxy.exe seems missing from the list.  It is required to run local computations (-localonly)

Which version of Intel MPI Library do you use? As far as I see pmi_proxy.exe is present in the latest versions.

0 Kudos
Patrick_L_1
Beginner

Hi Artem,

Using impi_5.0.3, was latest when installed in July.

We are in the middle of software build process and upgrading would not be the best time.
If it is indeed a typo / missing item in that release, we could still redistribute this component?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Patrick,

Could you please submit a ticket via Intel Premier Support for the issue?

0 Kudos
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Regarding to:

What are the pitfalls of bundling the MPI components with the software distribution?  any environment variables to set-up?
      If it is sufficient, we would end up simply launching mpiexec with a full path   ( C:/Program Files/OurSoftware/MPI/Intel/intel64/bin/mpiexec.exe ...)

Necessary environment variables can be set with intel64\bin\mpivars.bat script - for correct work it's the recommended way to set the environment. Also you need Hydra service (hydra_service.exe) installed and running on the system.

0 Kudos
Patrick_L_1
Beginner

(For redist.txt, Intel Premier Support is taking care of it, thanks)

> Also you need Hydra service (hydra_service.exe) installed and running on the system.

Does not need to be installed&running, if using -localonly.  But would be, i guess, for remote-machine execution on windows.

My experience is (so far), in order to redistribute intel-MPI with no installation or user configuration:

- bundle the files detailed in redist.txt (with the same directory structure)
  - add the mpi bin/ to the front of the environment $PATH, before launching mpirun/mpiexec
  - Linux only:  add the mpi lib/ directory to the front of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

0 Kudos