Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Videography Workstation

bob6
Beginner
I firstauthored the word "videography" into the lexicon,in the OCT 1972 edition ofAMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER MAGAZINE. 34 years later I amstill developing my "videography workstation".
It is a complete communicationsplatform for peoplewho wantto market to the world. I chose a Pentium M 1.6Ghz last year and it worked fine . . . as long a I stayed with standard definition video.
At the National Assoc. of Broadcasters in LV, I got the High Definition bug, andmy Pentium M 1.6, with only 1GB of RAM and 64MB video card was short on speed and power.
So I am wondering if a Pentium M 2.0 GHz with 2GB of RAM and a 128 MB video card will pass HD video. I will stick with 1280x720 pixels.
In there anything in the Pentium M pipeline that will assure HD success? Also, why can't Pentium M chips be adapted for dual processors?
I have absolutely no use for Pentium 4 mobile chips because I do work with batteries in the field and I don't like the fan noise and heat.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
videocoder
Beginner

In order to be used in a desktop-style multi-processor system, each CPU needs to be able to communicate with the others to ensure that they have a consistent view of the system's memory. This function is known as cache coherency. I believe that since Pentium M processors were targeted for the power-conscious mobile market, such features supporting power-hungry multiprocessor systems were omitted.

It seems that Intel is increasingly turning towards multiple processors (and similar approches), in order to continue improving performance. So, you may start to see multiprocessor or multi-core notebooks, in the next couple years.

I believe this isn't the best forum in which to discuss specs for your next video editing sytem. I recommend the following site (click on the link "Forum List", on the left), and wish you luck:

0 Kudos
Shuo_L_Intel
Employee
If notebook is not imperial, you should try Intel's Pentium 4 Extreme Edition.Depending on the software your are using, whether it is threaded or ot, L3 cahce and HyperThreading may help your more than single CPU power.
You can rest assure thatfuture generalof Pentium M will have dual core capability. That also demands that your software is threaded and will be recompiled for the CPU your are running.
0 Kudos
jobyden
Beginner

When it comes to video editing, a computer with high-end specifications is typically necessary to handle the demands of video rendering and processing. Here are some factors to consider when choosing the best computer for video editing:

1. Processor: Look for a computer with a powerful processor, such as an Intel Core i7 or i9, or an AMD Ryzen 7 or 9.

2. Graphics Card: A dedicated graphics card is important for video editing, as it will help accelerate the rendering process. Look for a GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM.

3. RAM: Video editing can be memory-intensive, so look for a computer with at least 16GB of RAM. Some professionals may prefer 32GB or more for large projects.

4. Storage: Video files can be large, so a fast and spacious SSD is important for storing and accessing your footage. Consider a computer with a large SSD, or a combination of SSD and HDD.

5. Display: A high-quality display is important for accurately viewing and editing video footage. Look for a computer with a high-resolution display with good color accuracy.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@jobyden This is a 19-year old thread.   Did you have something specific you were looking to do?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos