Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Visual Studio project settings to instrument for Trace Analyzer

jefffaust
New Contributor I

Hello,

I'm just getting started with Intel MPI and am trying to understand how to use Trace Analyzer. My understanding is that linking with vt.lib and running an mpi application is sufficient to cause a *.stf file to be emitted. I have a simple Hello World MPI application. After linking with vt.lib and running through mpiexec, I see no stf output.

There's not much more information to add. The setup could not be simpler. What am I missing?

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jefffaust
New Contributor I

I was finally able to get STF results. Here's what I did:

• vt.lib must be before impi.lib in the link line.
  • I had to include vt.h and invoke VT_initialize, VT_traceon, and VT_finalize.

I don't know why these steps are necessary. I found no documentation to suggest they are, and I figured this out through slow trial-and-error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jefffaust
New Contributor I

I don't know why these steps are necessary. I found no documentation to suggest they are, and I figured this out through slow trial-and-error.

0 Kudos
j0e
New Contributor I

Thanks for sharing! Changing the order so that VT.lib comes before impi.lib worked for me in VS2017 using PS XE 2019, with Fortran code (but I did not need the VT_initialize or other calls). 

jefffaust wrote:

0 Kudos