Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

What is the differences between “-genvall” and “-envall” ?

jj_l_
Beginner

In the man doc of mpirun, it says that:

-genvall
              Use this option to enable propagation of all environment variables to all MPI processes.

-envall
              Use this option to propagate all environment variables in the current argument set.

May I have a more plain-spoken explanation in their meaning and differences?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jj_l_
Beginner

Optimization Notice is COMPLETELY USELESS.

it is NOT related to my questions at all.

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

This might be easier to test than to try to understand from the documentation....

You can run "env" in the parent environment, then use mpirun to launch a script using each of the two options above.  The script can run "env" with the output redirected to a unique file name (e.g., a file name generated by "mktemp") so the output from multiple ranks does not get mixed together).

0 Kudos
jj_l_
Beginner

McCalpin, John wrote:

This might be easier to test than to try to understand from the documentation....

You can run "env" in the parent environment, then use mpirun to launch a script using each of the two options above.  The script can run "env" with the output redirected to a unique file name (e.g., a file name generated by "mktemp") so the output from multiple ranks does not get mixed together).

Thanks for your suggestion. It is a way to test it. If any intel tech support guys see this post, I still wish to have their official response.

0 Kudos