Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Where is the IDE?

Jayanth_D_
Beginner

I am new to Intel Softwares. I recently installed Intel Cluster Studio XE 2013 to evaluate it but could not find the Shortcuts for the IDE on my desktop or Start Menu. Does ICS XE 2013 come with an IDE or should I use some other IDE for it?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

Intel® Cluster Studio XE does not provide an IDE, but it does integrate with other IDEs.  Since you are on Windows*, it will integrate with Visual Studio* if you have that installed.  Three of the component programs (Intel® Inspector XE, Intel® VTuneTM Amplifier XE, and Intel® Trace Analyzer and Collector) have their own GUI as well.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

James Tullos (Intel) wrote:

Hi Jayanth,

Intel® Cluster Studio XE does not provide an IDE, but it does integrate with other IDEs.  Since you are on Windows*, it will integrate with Visual Studio* if you have that installed.  Three of the component programs (Intel® Inspector XE, Intel® VTuneTM Amplifier XE, and Intel® Trace Analyzer and Collector) have their own GUI as well.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

Ok. Thank you James for replying. I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate Installed. In Intel Cluster Studio XE, I am only interested in C/C++ programming. How to create a new C/C++ project in Visual Studio and use Intel C/C++ compiler as the tool?

Thanks

Jayanth D

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

I don't know if Visual Studio 2012 is the same, but in Visual Studio 2010, once you have created a project, there are two ways to select the Intel® C++ Composer.  In the Project -> Properties, go to the Configuration Properties category.  On the General page, change the Platform Toolset to Intel C++ Compiler XE 2013.  You can also use the menu Project -> Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 -> Use Intel C++ to change the compiler.

The documentation for the C++ Compiler is available at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-composer-xe-documentation/, and the specific document you'll want for selecting the compiler is at http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/stdxe/2013/composerxe/compiler/cpp-win/index.htm.  In the Contents, go to Getting Started -> Using Microsoft* Visual Studio*

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

James Tullos (Intel) wrote:

Hi Jayanth,

I don't know if Visual Studio 2012 is the same, but in Visual Studio 2010, once you have created a project, there are two ways to select the Intel® C++ Composer.  In the Project -> Properties, go to the Configuration Properties category.  On the General page, change the Platform Toolset to Intel C++ Compiler XE 2013.  You can also use the menu Project -> Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 -> Use Intel C++ to change the compiler.

The documentation for the C++ Compiler is available at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-composer-xe-documentation/, and the specific document you'll want for selecting the compiler is at http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/stdxe/2013/composerxe/compiler/cpp-win/index.htm.  In the Contents, go to Getting Started -> Using Microsoft* Visual Studio*

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

Ok. James. I also have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. I will try what you have said. I have 2 more questions.

1. If I purchase Intel Cluster Studio XE 2013 license can I use the same license for Windows and Linux versions of the software?

2. Can I write 32 bit and 64 bit x86 assembly language programs using Intel C/C++ Compiler?

Thanks and Regards

Jayanth D

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

You will need a different license for Windows* and Linux*.

You can inline assembly.  Search the documentation I provided earlier for assembly.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

James

I have a problem. I installed Intel Cluster Studio XE 2013 first and then Installed MS Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. I tried the 2 methods you mentioned to select Intel C/C++ Compiler as the toolset but I dont see those options in Visual Studio.

See the screenshot http://www.pixhost.org/show/2114/15908529_icsxe2013.jpg

Edit: I ran the setup again and chose modify options and it asked for integration with VS 2010 and I chose it and installed successfully. I rebooted my system. Then I started VS 2010 and when I try to compile or creat projects I get the error messages shown in the images. Please help me fix them.

http://www.pixhost.org/show/4079/15910738_ics1.jpg

http://www.pixhost.org/show/4079/15910739_ics2.jpg

http://www.pixhost.org/show/4079/15910744_ics3.jpg

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

I'm checking with our other support engineers, as I normally do not work with Visual Studio* at all.  Which integration with VS2010 did you choose?  I believe there is a separate one for each of the three products giving you errors.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

Hi James

I am getting errors with all the three versions i.e., VS 2008, VS 2010, and VS 2012 but I will be using VS 2010. I selected all the three compilers for integration with ICS XE 2013. May I know which IDE you use for ICS XE 2013 if you don't use VS 2010?

Thanks and Regards

Jayanth D

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

When you get into a project, are you able to see the option to select the Intel compiler?  The errors you are seeing are not coming from the compiler integrations.  Those errors are coming from the analysis tools, Intel® VTune" Amplifier XE, Intel® Inspector XE, and Intel® Advisor XE.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

Yes. I am able to select ICS XE 2013 as the compiler and I am also able to compile the code successfully. The problem is with the other three products that come with ICS XE 2013. Will reinstalling solves the problem?

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

I would expect it to solve the problem, but I can't say for certain.  I think you could also use the installer's modify capability to add the integration to the other products.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

I tried the modify method but it doesn't give any option for integration with the three softwares. The three softwares has some issues with Updates. How can I install updates?

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

What do you mean by issues with updates?  Are the updates not installing correctly?  Or is the Intel® Software Manager reporting that there are updates?  If the former, please clarify.  If the latter, I would recommend installing those updates, which should correct the Visual Studio* integration.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

I tried reinstalling but the same problem exists. When I chose the modify option it shows the components which are installed and for some items (the 3 analyzers) there is exclamation mark on the side and it shows updates not installed. How to install updates? I don't see any option to install updates for ICS XE 2013.Where is the Intel Software Manager?

Edit: I installed the updates and rebooted but still the same problem exists. I see something strange. When I looked into the directory where setup was extracted before installation and also the installed folders the folders Advisor XE 2013, Inspector XE 2013, and VTune Amplifier XE 2013 are empty.

Edit 2: The problem got solved. Actually Advisor, Inspector, and VTune were not installed. I had choosen Full INstall but don't know why they were not installed but that is a different issue. Now everything is working fine. Is there any other IDE for ICS XE 2013 other than VS 20xx and Eclipse? If yes, please mention it.

Thanks and Regards

Jayanth D

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

I do not know of any other IDEs that can be used.  If you have an IDE you prefer to use, please let us know.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

Hi James

I don't know any other IDE other than Visual Studio and Eclipse. You said that you don't use Visual Studio. That's why I asked about the IDE. May I know which IDE you use?

Thanks

Jayanth D

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Hi Jayanth,

I don't use an IDE, I use text editors and compile via command line.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
Jayanth_D_
Beginner

Ok. Thank you.

0 Kudos
court
Beginner

Hi Jayanth,

If you fire up Visual Studio 2012 (I'm using Pro, but it's probably the same in Ultimate) and set up a project the same way a you would if you were compiling with MSVC. Then, when you get to the point when you would normally begin typing your source select the PROJECT dialogue box and go down to where it says Intel Composer EX 2013 SP1 and hover there (assuming you have the Intel packages installed correctly) a dialogue will appear which says "Use Intel C++". Just select this and compilation (linking ect) will be carried out by the Intel compiler. When you do this it will create a tool bar in the upper right corner (configurable) that will allow you to analyze your code in some really cool ways via VTune, Advisor ect. No more searching for memory leaks because it will show you what you forgot to free and a whole lot more. As for the ASM code, I too like to use the intrinsics to take advantage of SSE2 ect to light up hardware that you just can't without it and have had no problem doing so. Of course though, it will have to be inline as otherwise we would have declare sections, like text, data section, ect. But, the inlining works as usual inside the IDE. Have fun.    

0 Kudos