Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Why is Intel MPI asking that I initialize MPICH?

Arthur4
Beginner

I have compiled a program using both Intel C/C++ and Intel Fortran compilers.

The fortran sources have calls to MPI, as do a few C sources. In order to avoid any conflict with Microsoft MPI I completely uninstalled Microsoft MPI.

When I start my MPI application, I get the error "Attempting to use an MPI routine before initializing MPICH". I have used Microsoft MPI in the past in this program and never had this error.

Is Intel MPI based on MPICH? And, if it is, how do I resolve this problem?

Thanks.

-Arthur

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShivaniK_Intel

Hii Arthur,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

This error may occur if the MPI_INIT function is used before the MPI functions, if not can you please provide us the sample program so we can debug from our end.

Also, provide the details of I_MPI_DEBUG=10.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
Arthur4
Beginner

Hi Shivani,

I should have paid more attention to what the message was saying. It turns out I was using an incorrect program - where no MPI initialization was taking place. Once I saw your message I went back to the code and that's when I noticed the problem.

Thanks!

-Arthur

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hii Arthur,

We are glad that it helped you. As your issue has been resolved, we are closing this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks&Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos