Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Windows 10 libfabric generates different domain names for the same subnet on various hosts

ALaza1
Novice

I've previously identified this problem as I looked into poor network performance. In particular I'm using a private domain name for a specific private subnet. I've observed the MPI app using a much slower public subnet. The masks and access to the various hosts all look good to ping/traceroute. fi_info -n bubbles1.macaw.local returns eth1 for all but one host where it returns eth0.

I edited my mpiexec command line to specify this domain:

-host bubbles1 -env FI_SOCKETS_IFACE=eth0 -n 8 ${exec}

All the other hosts use

-genv FI_SOCKETS_IFACE=eth1

Performance looks a lot better when all the hosts are running on my private subnet (20gpbs, TCP). None of the usual tcp tools and configuration options revealed this problem.

Here's what my tcp/ip configuration looks like (the same on all hosts).

Ethernet adapter Team0:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : macaw.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TEAM: Team0
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.x.0.x(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

So, do I have to re-compile the libfabric library to "fix" libfabric  or is there another way to accomplish fixing its domain assignment?

This particular discovery was made using v2019.5. I had to back down from oneapi because of poor performance.  I suspect that oneapi suffers from the same domain assignment problem. I'm going to try oneapi yet again.

TIA
Art

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Intel forums.

Could you please try with the latest Intel MPI 2021.7(component of Intel oneAPI HPC toolkit) and let us know if the issue still persists?

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Could you please try with the latest Intel MPI 2021.7(component of Intel oneAPI HPC toolkit) and let us know if the issue still persists?

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. This thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos