Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Windows MPI 2021.4 : unable to create process

Mark14
Beginner

Hi,

Our MPI based application starts up using a few .bat files. This works without problems with MPI 2019, but fails with MPI 2021.4.

It can be reproduced in the following way:

• Start a command prompt

• In this command prompt, start a new one by : runas /user:<domain>\<user> cmd
    <domain>\<user> can be the current user (the one that created the first command prompt)

• In the newly started prompt do : mpiexec.exe -n 1 -hosts localhost "C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe"

This fails with
[proxy:0:0@E180144] HYD_spawn (..\windows\src\hydra_spawn.c:282): unable to create process C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe (error code 5)

[proxy:0:0@E180144] launch_processes (proxy.c:596): error creating process (error code 5). Access is denied.

[mpiexec@E180144] wmain (mpiexec.c:2134): assert (pg->intel.exitcodes != NULL) failed

[mpiexec@E180144] HYD_sock_write (..\windows\src\hydra_sock.c:387): write error (errno = 34)

This works perfectly with MPI 2019 update 8, so it seems to be a problem in the MPI code.

Is it possible to check if additional tests have been added to the code that may cause this error ? Are there any workarounds ?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
8 Replies
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue to us.

We are able to reproduce your issue in the latest version. We are working on this internally and will get back to you soon.

Thanks & Regards

Varsha

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thank you very much for reporting the issue.

We have reported this issue to the development team, they are looking into this issue.

Thanks & Regards

Varsha

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

We are looking into your issue however, could you please let us know the use case of creating another process(new command prompt) using runas command? Is there any specific reason for creating the process?

Thanks & Regards

Varsha

0 Kudos
Mark14
Beginner

Hi,

This is a simplified sequence how our application starts : windows service -> spawns executable -> launches a .bat file -> calls mpiexec (this fails). So we are not using an explicit 'runas' command. Maybe Windows does internally, I don't know.

When debugging, I simplified this sequence and eventually when using ‘runas’ I was able to reproduce the problem using the sequence reported to you.

Kr

Mark

0 Kudos
Eloi_Gaudry1
Beginner

Hi, I might be seeing the same issue when hydra_bstrap_proxy is launched from a forked process.

In case I overwrite all hydra*.exe and mpiexec.exe binaries (keeping the existing impi.dll) with 2019.10 ones, the issue is gone.

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. The issue raised by you has been fixed in Intel MPI 2021.6 version(HPC Toolkit 2022.2). Please download and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
Mark14
Beginner

Hi Varsha,

Version 2021.6 resolves our issue.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

>>Version 2021.6 resolves our issue.

Thanks for the confirmation. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos