Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2154 Discussions

channel initialization failed & I_MPI_DEBUG

Seifer_Lin
Beginner

Hi all:I got the following problems on a Windows 7 x64 node.D:\\test_impi>mpiexec.exe -localonly -n 2 IMB-MPI1.exeinit command received but no process group structure found to match it: pg <>[0] PMI_Init failed: FAIL - init command received but no process group structurefount to match it.Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:MPIR_Init_thread(645): Initialization failedMPID_Init(134).......: channel initialization failedMPID_Init(430).......: PMI_Init returned -1init command received but no process group structure found to match it: pg <>[0] PMI_Init failed: FAIL - init command received but no process group structurefount to match it.Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:MPIR_Init_thread(645): Initialization failedMPID_Init(134).......: channel initialization failedMPID_Init(430).......: PMI_Init returned -1D:\\test_impi>

When I use -genv with I_MPI_DEBUG, the problem exists...D:\\test_impi>mpiexec.exe -genv I_MPI_DEBUG 0 -localonly -n 2 IMB-MPI1.exeinit command received but no process group structure found to match it: pg <>[0] PMI_Init failed: FAIL - init command received but no process group structurefount to match it.Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:MPIR_Init_thread(645): Initialization failedMPID_Init(134).......: channel initialization failedMPID_Init(430).......: PMI_Init returned -1init command received but no process group structure found to match it: pg <>[0] PMI_Init failed: FAIL - init command received but no process group structurefount to match it.Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:MPIR_Init_thread(645): Initialization failedMPID_Init(134).......: channel initialization failedMPID_Init(430).......: PMI_Init returned -1D:\\test_impi>But when I use -env with I_MPI_DEBUG, everything works fine!!!D:\\test_impi>mpiexec.exe -env I_MPI_DEBUG 0 -localonly -n 2 IMB-MPI1.exe pingpongbenchmarks to run pingpong#---------------------------------------------------# Intel MPI Benchmark Suite V3.2.3, MPI-1 part#---------------------------------------------------# Date : Wed Jul 11 17:54:46 2012# Machine : Intel 64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel# Release : 6.1.7601# Version : Service Pack 1# MPI Version : 2.1# MPI Thread Environment:# New default behavior from Version 3.2 on:# the number of iterations per message size is cut down# dynamically when a certain run time (per message size sample)# is expected to be exceeded. Time limit is defined by variable# "SECS_PER_SAMPLE" (=> IMB_settings.h)# or through the flag => -time# Calling sequence was:# D:\\test_impi\\IMB-MPI1.exe pingpong# Minimum message length in bytes: 0# Maximum message length in bytes: 4194304## MPI_Datatype : MPI_BYTE# MPI_Datatype for reductions : MPI_FLOAT# MPI_Op : MPI_SUM### List of Benchmarks to run:# PingPong ...I spent some time to solve this, since the problem occurred in our customer's Notebook.Any comments are appreciated.regards,Seifer

0 Kudos
3 Replies
James_T_Intel
Hi Seifer,

Is this with the IMB executable that is shipped with the Intel MPI Library, or with one you (or your customer) have compiled? Does this happen with other MPI programs on this computer? What are the environment variables on the computer? Is there a different MPI implementation installed on the computer?

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
Seifer_Lin
Beginner
Hi James:
(1) The IMB executable is shipped with the Intel MPI Library 4.0.3.009.
(2) All other MPI programs got the same problem.
(3) I type "echo %I_MPI_ROOT%" in the cmd.exe and got %I_MPI_ROOT%. (I think this variable is not set.)
(4) I think there is no other smpd running.
(5) By the way, I just start smpd as the service and use mpiexec to run the MPI program. I don't INSTALL the intel mpi by installation program.
regards,
Seifer
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi Seifer,

Would it be possible to install the Intel MPI Library on the system?

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel Cluster Tools
0 Kudos