Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

execvp error (Parallel running between 2 nodes)

milad_m_
Beginner

Hi 

I'm trying to run a simple parallel code between 2 nodes (VS 2013 and intel cluster 2017). I have successfully run in parallel between inner cores in the node 0. I create host.txt file then copy the main folder in to the node1 desktop. Both folders in each node are shared.But when i run it between 2 nodes this error appear. The cmd code that i use is:

mpiexec -n 2 -ppn 1 -f host.txt c.exe

which one process runs in node 0 and another is in node1.

I attached host file and error figure.Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Gregg_S_Intel
Employee

Try specifying a full path to c.exe.

0 Kudos
milad_m_
Beginner
I'm new with this. Would you please help me how can i add full patch in addition to host IP to the host.txt file ? I also add c.exe in both pc to the environment variable. The problem still persist.
0 Kudos
Gregg_S_Intel
Employee

Full path as in c:\something\something\something\c.exe

0 Kudos
milad_m_
Beginner

Tanks but it doesn't work.I add full path after IP address for each node in the host file. i attached error and host file. is it the right format for specifying a full path?

P.S: both nodes have a same username and password and the folders containing exe file and main code are in the same path in both nodes.

0 Kudos
Gregg_S_Intel
Employee

No,you still haven't specified the path to c.exe in your run command, and you've added some bad syntax to your host file.

Have a look at this getting started guide:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-mpi-for-windows

0 Kudos
milad_m_
Beginner

I couldn't find anything about specify a path to exe file in cmd from that link.I think if nodes increase its hard to path to all exe files. Is it possible to share folders (containing exe files) from all nodes and then just work with node0 to run simultaneously in all nodes? (just if the main code changes, replace the new exe file with old ones in all nodes).

0 Kudos
Gregg_S_Intel
Employee

mpiexec ... c:\something\c.exe

The executable has to be already present on all nodes, however you want to do that.  mpiexec does not copy anything

0 Kudos
milad_m_
Beginner

In Fig 1 just run with 1 cpu in node0 and in Fig 2 run with 2 cpus(one from node 0 and another from node 1) in node0. These are appeared.

0 Kudos
Gregg_S_Intel
Employee

Perhaps you perhaps mean to specify -hosts?

Check that you have followed the prerequisite steps in Intel MPI Developers Guide for Windows OS.

Good luck!

0 Kudos