Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

[itac + mpich] Invalid communicatorFatal error in MPI_Comm_dup

matt_o
Beginner
Hi,

I use ITAC (v7.2.1.008) and mpich2. I source the itac environment with the mpich flag (ie : source itac/7.2.1.008/bin/itacvars.sh mpich).

All the compilation is done by ifort and icc

I set LD_PRELOAD with LD_PRELOAD = $VT_SLIB_DIR/libVT.so

When I launch my app with mpirun I get :

Fatal error in MPI_Comm_dup: Invalid communicator, error stack:
MPI_Comm_dup(195): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff236f67a0) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(103): Invalid communicatorFatal error in MPI_Comm_dup: Invalid communicator, error stack:
MPI_Comm_dup(195): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff84faafa0) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(103): Invalid communicatorFatal error in MPI_Comm_dup: Invalid communicator, error stack:
MPI_Comm_dup(195): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff95c4e610) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(195): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fffd7d51a10) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(195): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff0054c160) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(195): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff400a8a80) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(195): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff684344f0) failed
(.............)

Without LD_PRELOAD, there is no error.
I have tested with intel mpi v.3, and no error too.

I have this problem only when I use mpich.

What is wrong ?

Thanks

Matthieu
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Mattieu,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the HPC forums.

It would be great to know how you build your application with libVT. For example, the Intel Trace Collector also requires that the following libraries are linked in in addition to libVT: -ldwarf -lelf -lvtunwind -lnsl -lm -ldl -lpthread. Is that true for you? If you're not comfortable providing that information in a public forum, feel free to submit an issue via the Intel Premier Support webpage.

It would also be great to try out a small Hello World application with LD_PRELOAD, mpich, and the Intel Trace Collector, and see if that works. I can provide one to you, or, if you have the Intel MPI Library installed, one is available in the /test directory.

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos
matt_o
Beginner

Hi Mattieu,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the HPC forums.

It would be great to know how you build your application with libVT. For example, the Intel Trace Collector also requires that the following libraries are linked in in addition to libVT: -ldwarf -lelf -lvtunwind -lnsl -lm -ldl -lpthread. Is that true for you? If you're not comfortable providing that information in a public forum, feel free to submit an issue via the Intel Premier Support webpage.

It would also be great to try out a small Hello World application with LD_PRELOAD, mpich, and the Intel Trace Collector, and see if that works. I can provide one to you, or, if you have the Intel MPI Library installed, one is available in the /test directory.

Regards,
~Gergana

Thanks for your answer.

I have followed your suggestion : I use test.f90 from intel MPI test directory.

1. I source ifort, itac environment (I set mpich when I source itac) and mpich environment.

2. The compilation command :

ifort test.f90 -I/users/matt/mpich2install/include/ -L/users/matt/mpich2install/lib -L$VT_SLIB_DIR -lVT -ldwarf -lelf -lvtunwind -lnsl -lm -ldl -lpthread -lfmpich -lmpich -lrt -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -o test

(I have to put -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined (according to itac doc). Without this linker option, I get
slib_mpich/libVT.so: undefined reference to `PMPIO_Wait'...)

I run "test"
~/mpich2install/bin/mpirun -n 4 ./test

And I get same kind of error :

MPI_Comm_dup(167): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff1830d4b0) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(95).: Invalid communicator[cli_0]: aborting job:
MPI_Comm_dup(167): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff1830d4b0) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(95).: Invalid communicator
MPI_Comm_dup(167): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff30a9dc30) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(95).: Invalid communicatorFatal error in MPI_Comm_dup: Invalid communicator, error stack:
MPI_Comm_dup(167): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff6026b3b0) failed
MPI_Comm_dup(95).: Invalid communicator[cli_1]: aborting job:
MPI_Comm_dup(167): MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x5b, new_comm=0x7fff6026b3b0) fail

Of course without lVT, the program runs correctly...

I have also tested with the LD_PRELOAD method, and static linking method, and I have always the same error...

My mpich version : mpich2 v.1.0.8
ifort v.11.1.038
itac : 7.2.1.008

Regards,

Matthieu

0 Kudos
Dmitry_K_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - matt.o
Hi,

I use ITAC (v7.2.1.008) and mpich2. I source the itac environment with the mpich flag (ie : source itac/7.2.1.008/bin/itacvars.sh mpich).
Hi Matthieu,

Could you try to use
itacvars.sh mpich2.
mpich1 and mpich2 have absolutely different libraries.

Best wishes,
Dmitry
0 Kudos