Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

mpi 2019.5 mpiexec -hosts issues all processes to the first host

The_Red_Gator_in_Vir

2019.1 mpiexec worked as expected - mpiexec -np 2 -hosts A,B P issued one process P on each of hosts A and B.

2019.5 mpiexec -np 2 -hosts A,B -P issues two P's on A.

It's maddening because this is not how any other MPI I've experienced works...

mpiexec -configfile CF works the same in both releases. With this I can make things work, but it's very, VERY annoying. 

Meanwhile, 2019.5 MPI_BCast() appears to be better behaved than 2019.1 MPI_BCast(). This is a good thing, and worth the upgrade.

I'm not in to spending 2-1/2 hours on each release to see if 2019.2 through 2019.4 might have better overall behavior.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anatoliy_R_Intel
Employee

Hello,

2019.5 works as expected. it was an issue in 2019.1. By default ppn (processes per node) in Intel MPI is the number of the physical cores on the first node. If you want to run 1 process per node, please specify -ppn=1 option.

Note from the documentation:

-ppn sets the number of processes to launch on each node; if the option is not specified, processes are assigned to the physical cores on the first node; if the number of cores is exceeded, the next node is used

--

Best regards, Anatoliy

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi James,

We hope that your query is resolved. Please confirm.

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi James,

Could you please confirm the status of your query

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi James,

We are closing this issue assuming your issue is resolved. Please raise a new issue for further queries.

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos