Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2154 Discussions

[mpiexec@HOST0004] validate_fn (..\windows\src\mpiexec_params_init_win.c:290): server rejecte

Randykos
Beginner

Hi, 
What could be causing the following issue when running "mpiexec.exe -validate -host localhost"
[mpiexec@HOST0004] validate_fn (..\windows\src\mpiexec_params_init_win.c:290): server rejected credentials on host localhost

ref: IMPI version, hydra registered, credentials cached, I even tried "
C:\>klist purge" 

C:\>
"%I_MPI_ONEAPI_ROOT%\env\vars.bat" has no output (blank line)

C:\>"%I_MPI_ONEAPI_ROOT%\bin\mpiexec" -version

Intel(R) MPI Library for Windows* OS, Version 2021.5 Build 20211102Copyright 2003-2021, Intel Corporation.

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\2021.5.1\bin\hydra_service.exe" -installIntel(R) MPI Library Hydra Process Manager 2021.5 installed.

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\2021.5.1\bin\hydra_service.exe" -startIntel(R) MPI Library Hydra Process Manager 2021.5 started.

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\2021.5.1\bin\mpiexec.exe" -registeraccount (domain\user) [XXX\user]:password:confirm password:credentials were saved.

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\2021.5.1\bin\mpiexec.exe" -validate -host localhost[mpiexec@HOST0004] validate_fn (..\windows\src\mpiexec_params_init_win.c:290): server rejected credentials on host localhost

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SharonT
Employee

Looks like the problem was resolved after I added the user account to "Remote Management Users" group under Computer Management -> Local Users And Groups

Thanks for the support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We tried at our end using Intel MPI Library 2021.5.0 on a windows machine using the below steps and it worked fine.

1. Use the following commands to determine the user names and domain names of your machine.
    > whoami
    domain-name\user-name

2. Next, invoke the following commands to set up the Hydra process manager:
    > hydra_service -start
    > mpiexec -register
      domain-name\user-name
      password
      confirm password
    > mpiexec -validate
      SUCCESS
    ​

Note: Please make sure to give "account (domain\user)" name for mpiexec -register as "domain-name\user-name" which is the output of "whoami" from step 1.

For more information regarding the steps, please refer to the link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/training/micro-cluster-setup-with-intel-mpi-a-stepwise-guide-to-setting-up-the-smallest-windows.html

Please try the above steps and let us know if it works. If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with a similar issue. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Could you please provide an update on your issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
Randykos
Beginner

Hi Santos,

Thank you for reaching for a status - your commands were the same as we had done prior.

"%I_MPI_ONEAPI_ROOT%\env\vars.bat"
hydra_service  -install
hydra_service  -start
mpiexec -remove
mpiexec -register
mpiexec -validate 

Validate still fails with the same:

validate_fn (..\windows\src\mpiexec_params_init_win.c:290): server rejected credentials on host Hostname

ex:

Randykos_0-1646242253907.png

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Could you please provide your environment details( CPU & its version)?

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
SharonT
Employee

We have several different Windows machines.

Below is the processor details for some.

SharonT_0-1646821582397.png

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

>>" validate_fn (..\windows\src\mpiexec_params_init_win.c:290): server rejected credentials on host <hostname>"

We will get the above error only if we give the wrong credentials. Please follow the below steps for 'mpiexec -validate':

1. The value of 'domain-name\user-name' must be the same as the output of 'whoami' command.
  2. The password must be the one with which you log in to your machine.

If you still face the issue, then try to skip the command 'mpiexec -validate' and try to run a sample MPI application. While running an MPI program, If it prompts you to give a username & password, then give it a try and let us know if you can able to run a sample MPI program.

Also, could you please check whether you are using a supported windows target machine by referring to the below Intel MPI system requirements page?

URL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/mpi-library-system-requirements.html

If you are not using a supported target operating system, then we recommend you use any one of the supported target OS and try again.

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
SharonT
Employee

I'm using Windows Server 2019 which is supported.

When I'm registering my regular account the validation fails.

When I'm registering my admin (elevated) account then validation is successful.

This is regardless of how I logged into the machine and the "whoami" command output.

Seems like it has something to do with permissions.

0 Kudos
SharonT
Employee

I'm running mpiexec -n 2 -ppn 1 -hosts <hostnames> hostname for testing and it fails after I register my regular account

0 Kudos
SharonT
Employee

Looks like the problem was resolved after I added the user account to "Remote Management Users" group under Computer Management -> Local Users And Groups

Thanks for the support

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. Thanks for sharing the solution with us. Can we go ahead and close this issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
Randykos
Beginner

Thank you Santos and Sharon!

Yes, please close.

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation.

If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos