Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

mpiexec does not run

Hi I have encountered a weird problem with mpiexec. Currently I am using intel MPI that comes with intel parallel studio cluster edition on my Windows 10 machines. After installing the program, I configured it and registered mpiexec as suggested here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-mpi-for-windows

Then I set up my visual studio project as suggested here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/610381

I follow exact the same steps to install and configure Intel MPI on my desktop and laptop. However, while my desktop can run the program with MPI flawlessly, my laptop cannot run mpiexec. If I run my program using mpiexec :

mpiexec -n 4 myprogram.exe

It just freezes, does nothing, and gives me a blank command window. When I check my task manager, my program is not running. I am very curious about why this problem only happens to my laptop since I am doing the exactly same thing on my laptop and desktop.

Can you please help me with this issue? Thank you!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Michael_S
Employee
1,370 Views

Hello,

Please provide the output of "mpiexec -n 4 -genv I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 -genv I_MPI_DEBUG=5 myprogram.exe".

Best regards,

Michael

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

Hi Michael,

Thank you fo your reply! I have attached the output of the command you gave me. The program only prints "Hello" to the screen but my mpiexec fails to do so. 

 

 

Michael Steyer (Intel) wrote:

Hello,

Please provide the output of "mpiexec -n 4 -genv I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 -genv I_MPI_DEBUG=5 myprogram.exe".

Best regards,

Michael

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

Hi Michael,

Have you found why my intel mpi does not work?

Thank you

Hewei Shen

 

Michael Steyer (Intel) wrote:

Hello,

Please provide the output of "mpiexec -n 4 -genv I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 -genv I_MPI_DEBUG=5 myprogram.exe".

Best regards,

Michael

Sergey_O_Intel
Employee
1,370 Views

hi

could you launch one more test?

run cmd.exe and in console window launch command:

mpiexec -v -n 2 -genv I_MPI_DEBUG 5 -localonly hostname

and provide output

it seems MPI service is failed to start on your system, command line above try to launch 'hostname' application using 'local' connections only

thank you

--Sergey

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

Hi Sergey

I have attached the output after executing the command you provided. 

Thank you!

 

SERGEY O. (Intel) wrote:

hi

could you launch one more test?

run cmd.exe and in console window launch command:

mpiexec -v -n 2 -genv I_MPI_DEBUG 5 -localonly hostname

and provide output

it seems MPI service is failed to start on your system, command line above try to launch 'hostname' application using 'local' connections only

thank you

--Sergey

Sergey_O_Intel
Employee
1,370 Views

hi

thank you for output.

for now we know that mpirun is able to launch application at least in local mode.

next step is try to launch your application instead of hostname (for begin without switch -v, in case if nothing happen - launch with -v switch for mpiexec)

in case if you see expected output from your application we may continue to investigate issue in IMPI service: launch your command line from start post, but add switch '-v' to mpiexec

thank you for help

--Sergey

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

Hi Sergey,

Thank you for your reply! My program can run without any problem when using "-localonly".  And this is good enough for me since I usually write and test my program on my computer and then run it on the supercomputer.  May I ask one last question? Why my intel-mpi fails to start without "-localonly"? I a very confused since intel-MPI runs perfectly on my other computer and I configured both computers in the same way. 

Again thank you for your help!

SERGEY O. (Intel) wrote:

hi

thank you for output.

for now we know that mpirun is able to launch application at least in local mode.

next step is try to launch your application instead of hostname (for begin without switch -v, in case if nothing happen - launch with -v switch for mpiexec)

in case if you see expected output from your application we may continue to investigate issue in IMPI service: launch your command line from start post, but add switch '-v' to mpiexec

thank you for help

--Sergey

Sergey_O_Intel
Employee
1,370 Views

Hewei S. wrote:

Why my intel-mpi fails to start without "-localonly"?

this is exact magic which we are trying to resolve :)

the most probable reason is there is something wrong with IMPI service: Intel MPI uses windows service to handle launched appications. in case if this service failed to operate for some reason then local mode is available only. BTW, do you use any firewall on your laptop? IMPI service uses TCP connection to communicate with mpirun

so, could you launch your application, but add switch '-v' to mpiexec? it prompt verbose output which may help us to understand what is wrong

thank you

--Sergey

Sergey_O_Intel
Employee
1,370 Views

default port used by hydra_service is 8679, try to add exception for this port to your firewall

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

Hi Sergey,

I added port 8679 to windows firewall and it does not cure the problem but the program is running with "-localonly" option. I tried to shut down firewall completely but the problem persists. This is a weird problem and I have been trying to solve this problem for days. If I cannot solve it eventually, I will just keep using the "localonly" option. 

Thank you.

Sergey_O_Intel
Employee
1,370 Views

ok, I see

could you launch your application without '-localonly' option, but with '-v' option? it sould generate set of debug messages which may help to understand what is wrong

or you may check firewall events (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff428140(v=ws.10).aspx)

thank you

--Sergey

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

Hi Sergey,

I have attached the output when I launch my application without -localonly but with -v.  I checked the firewall events but I did not  spot anything that is related to Intel MPI. Also, it still does not work even if I stop firewall completely. 

Thank you!

 

SERGEY O. (Intel) wrote:

ok, I see

could you launch your application without '-localonly' option, but with '-v' option? it sould generate set of debug messages which may help to understand what is wrong

or you may check firewall events (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff428140(v=ws.10).aspx)

thank you

--Sergey

Sergey_O_Intel
Employee
1,370 Views

hi

thank you for help

we will try to reproduce issue on our environment and let you know if find something new

thank you again

--Sergey

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I
1,370 Views

Thank you Sergey!

Jose_Carlos_A_
Beginner
1,370 Views

Hi,

I'm experiencing a very similar problem as the one described by Hewei. After trying all the suggestions mentioned throughout the post, my code only runs when the # of processors is one, it starts failing with two or more. The last message that prints the program is:

[0] MPI startup(): Internal info: pinning initialization was done

So, what I did was to increment the value of the I_MPI_DEBUG parameter value to 10 and set the -v parameter of mpiexec in order to have more information about the problem. The only error message that I notice is:

[0] I_MPI_Init_shm_colls_space(): Failed to perform OpenFileMapping: 5

[0] I_MPI_Init_shm_colls_space(): Something goes wrong in shared memory initialization (No error)

These two lines repeat twice (I assume because I was testing the code with 2 processors), then appears the first line that I mentioned.

I'll really appreciate any help in this regard.

Jose

Reply