Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

mpigdb help

Logan5
Novice
I cannot find any Intel documentation on how to use mpigdb for parallel debugging using gdb. In particular I cannot see how to switch processors. Is there any documentation on how to use mpigdb?

It may be a great tool but it is useless if there is no user guide.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Moving this to the oneAPI HPC Toolkit Forum. MPI questions can best be answered there.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

For Intel MPI, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/mpi-library/developer-guide-linux/2021-6/debugging.html

There may be more info on mpigdb from MPICH documentation.  

0 Kudos
Logan5
Novice

**bleep**. I accepted your reply too soon. Yes I found that document. It only explains how to compile and to run it. I need a user guide on how to use it. Even a very basic one. I scoured intel site for it and found nothing.

Is there anyway that I can at least get to communicate with someone at Intel to see if there is anyone who knows how to use the tool? And if there is anyway my company can get them to offer tech support? I tried a year ago with this problem and had to give up. Surely there had to be a way to get help on this from Intel. This is just a simple PI test programme.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

I un-accepted the "solution" for you, so this is once again unanswered.

Intel does not provide or create an MPI debugger.  We never have and there is no plan to provide one.  Rather, we refer people to TotalView or DDT for commercial mpi debuggers that those companies support.  In our documentation, when we refer to support, it is that our compilers and mpi library provide binaries that contain debug info that other debuggers can use.  That is the extent of our support - we support binary file debug information that other open source or commerical debuggers can use.

gdb is open source.  The mpigdb comes from MPICH, not Intel. This is why we do not document or support it - it's not our product. Your best source for help is the MPICH community at large.  Or perhaps someone on this forum has experience with it and can chime in.  the web may be your best source for information on using gdb with mpi.

0 Kudos
Logan5
Novice
OK then. I have performed quite a lot of parallel debugging using gdb. I figured it out in the end the solution to the problem I had that I hoped a user guide would answer. It was just "barrier" logic trapping me. It was the question I posted a year ago that I was really trying to answer.

If you haven't already, i would suggest that you make it very clear that MPICH are the providers and that the MPICH suppliers are where look for information. I did think you were partly involved in the gdb development though as you my company purched an Intel compiler version that provided gdb with a bug that had to be fixed. I demoed it easily on a little test problem. Intel had to fix it for me under the warranty.
0 Kudos