Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2153 Discussions

mpiicc, mpiicpc, mpiifort, etc. are missing in Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition

Asai_S_
Beginner

Hi, I'm not really sure if this is a right place to ask this kind of question so let me know if I'm in wrong one.

I download and installed Intel Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition (includes Fortran and C/C++) via Student license. The installation seems complete without any errors but I noticed that mpiicc, mpiicpc, mpiifort, etc. are missing from /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/ where the program should be in. These files are actually missing from the entire disk (checked via sudo find / -name "mpiifort")

While the web site say that the "Cluster Edition" includes MPI cluster tools, I'm wondering why these programs are missing from that directory. And actually, I installed it to other machine several months ago by using exactly same archive file and that machine has the files in that directory. Both machine were newly installed Ubuntu Server 14.04 so there should not be a significant difference. And in case, I tried to install the program just after OS preparation via VirtualBox and confirmed that the mpiicc, mpiicpc mpiifort, etc. were missing.

The followings are what I did in the new machine (which I think wrong)

$ cd ~
$ tar xvzf parallel_studio_xe_2016.tgz
$ cd parallel_studio_xe_2016
$ sudo ./install.sh
$ cd /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries/linux/mpi/intel64/bin
$ ls
cpuinfo           IMB-MPI1  mpd            mpdboot     mpdcheck.py     mpdcleanup.py  mpdgdbdrv.py  mpdkilljob     mpdlistjobs     mpd.py          mpdroot    mpdsigjob     mpdtrace.py  mpiexec.hydra  mpitune      mtv.so
hydra_nameserver  IMB-NBC   mpdallexit     mpdboot.py  mpdchkpyver.py  mpdexit        mpdhelp       mpdkilljob.py  mpdlistjobs.py  mpdringtest     mpdrun     mpdsigjob.py  mpicleanup   mpiexec.py     mpivars.csh  pmi_proxy
hydra_persist     IMB-RMA   mpdallexit.py  mpdcheck    mpdcleanup      mpdexit.py     mpdhelp.py    mpdlib.py      mpdman.py       mpdringtest.py  mpdrun.py  mpdtrace      mpiexec      mpirun         mpivars.sh   tune
$ sudo find / -name "mpiifort"
# No output

And the following is what shown in the previous machine (which I think correct)

$ ls
compchk.sh        mpdallexit      mpdcleanup.py  mpdlib.py       mpdrun        mpicxx         mpigxx       mtv.so
cpuinfo           mpdallexit.py   mpdexit        mpdlistjobs     mpdrun.py     mpiexec        mpiicc       pmi_proxy
hydra_nameserver  mpdboot         mpdexit.py     mpdlistjobs.py  mpdsigjob     mpiexec.hydra  mpiicpc      tune
hydra_persist     mpdboot.py      mpdgdbdrv.py   mpdman.py       mpdsigjob.py  mpiexec.py     mpiifort
IMB-MPI1          mpdcheck        mpdhelp        mpd.py          mpdtrace      mpif77         mpirun
IMB-NBC           mpdcheck.py     mpdhelp.py     mpdringtest     mpdtrace.py   mpif90         mpitune
IMB-RMA           mpdchkpyver.py  mpdkilljob     mpdringtest.py  mpicc         mpifc          mpivars.csh
mpd               mpdcleanup      mpdkilljob.py  mpdroot         mpicleanup    mpigcc         mpivars.sh

While I don't really remember what I did in previous machine, I would like to know missing steps to install these programs.
Because of this problem, I cannot continue the installation of other programs which require MPI. So any kinds of idea or suggestion are welcome.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Light_Intel

You are correct. The posting was not in the correct Forum. I have moved it to the C++ Forum but it is relevant for the Fortran Forum as well.

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
Amanda_S_Intel
Employee

Can you do a quick sanity check? Source the shell script and see if mpiicc is found in the environment.

aksharp@orcsle139:~$ ls /opt/intel/parallel_studio_xe_2016.0.0XX/bin/
psxevars.csh  psxevars.sh  sshconnectivity.exp
aksharp@orcsle139:~$ source /opt/intel/parallel_studio_xe_2016.0.0XX/bin/psxevars.sh
Copyright (C) 2009-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) Inspector XE 2016 (build 423441)
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2016 (build 424694)
Intel(R) Advisor XE 2016 (build 423501)
aksharp@orcsle139:~$ icc -v
icc version 16.0.0 (gcc version 4.8.2 compatibility)
aksharp@orcsle139:~$ mpiicc -v

<what are your results?>

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@Amanda, the problem could be that the license file the user has may not contain the IClsValL feature that's needed for the MPI SDK installation. 
@Asai: Can you send a private message to the author with the license file or serial number info for further investigation? 

Thanks,
Kittur 

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

The correct forum is actually "Clusters and HPC Technology" I have moved it to where the experts are.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-clusters-and-hpc-technology/topic/599441

0 Kudos
Asai_S_
Beginner

@Noga, Thank you. It was too complicated for me to find the correct one....

@Amanda, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the problem is not $PATH, the file is missing from the

entire disk... In case, here is the result.

$ pwd
/opt/intel/parallel_studio_xe_2016.0.047
$ ls bin
psxevars.csh  sxevars.sh  sshconnectivity.exp
$ source bin/psxevars.sh
$ icc -V
Intel(R) C Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.0.109 Build 20150815
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

$ mpiicc
No command 'mpiicc' found, did you mean:
 Command 'mpicc' from package 'libmpich-dev' (universe)
 Command 'mpicc' from package 'libopenmpi-dev' (universe)
 Command 'mpicc' from package 'lam4-dev' (universe)
mpiicc: command not found
$ sudo find / -name "mpiicc"
# NO RESULT

@Kittur, Ok. Well we have two student licenses, mine and other student's, do you need both? I confirmed that both license cannot install MPI correctly for now and I'm sure mine could install MPI correctly.

In case,  the following is md5sum of the archive.

$ md5sum parallel_studio_xe_2016.tgz 
00b4de9727a906a3aff468c26dd3f89c  parallel_studio_xe_2016.tgz

0 Kudos
Asai_S_
Beginner

Was it a bug of some server and already fixed? Because now I followed almost exactly same procedure as yesterday in VirtualBox to produce the detail of "how to reproduce this issue" but the problem seems solved now, at least in my VirtualBox (I tried twice from clean environment).

$ cd ~
$ ln -s /media/sf_Public/parallel_studio_xe_2006.tgz .
$ tar xvzf parallel_studio_xe_2006.tgz
$ cd parallel_studio_xe_2006
$ sudo ./install.sh
$ ls
compchk.sh        hydra_persist  IMB-RMA     mpdallexit.py  mpdcheck        mpdcleanup     mpdexit.py    mpdhelp.py     mpdlib.py       mpdman.py    mpdringtest.py  mpdrun.py     mpdtrace     mpicleanup  mpiexec.hydra  mpif90  mpigxx   mpiifort  mpivars.csh  pmi_proxy
cpuinfo           IMB-MPI1       mpd         mpdboot        mpdcheck.py     mpdcleanup.py  mpdgdbdrv.py  mpdkilljob     mpdlistjobs     mpd.py       mpdroot         mpdsigjob     mpdtrace.py  mpicxx      mpiexec.py     mpifc   mpiicc   mpirun    mpivars.sh   tune
hydra_nameserver  IMB-NBC        mpdallexit  mpdboot.py     mpdchkpyver.py  mpdexit        mpdhelp       mpdkilljob.py  mpdlistjobs.py  mpdringtest  mpdrun          mpdsigjob.py  mpicc        mpiexec     mpif77         mpigcc  mpiicpc  mpitune   mtv.so

Best,
Asai

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Please try to uninstall and reinstall on your system (not VirtualBox) and see if you can still reproduce the issue. This would be most helpful.

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
Asai_S_
Beginner

@Noga

Sorry for late reply.

> Please try to uninstall and reinstall on your system (not VirtualBox) and see if you can still reproduce the issue. This would be most helpful.

Yes I did and the issue cannot be reproduced any more in both actual machine and virtualbox. I haven't change any condition thus I'm wondering why.

Best Regards,
Asai

0 Kudos
cavalcante__lucas

Asai S. wrote:

@Noga, Thank you. It was too complicated for me to find the correct one....

@Amanda, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the problem is not $PATH, the file is missing from the

entire disk... In case, here is the result.

$ pwd
/opt/intel/parallel_studio_xe_2016.0.047
$ ls bin
psxevars.csh  sxevars.sh  sshconnectivity.exp
$ source bin/psxevars.sh
$ icc -V
Intel(R) C Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.0.109 Build 20150815
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

$ mpiicc
No command 'mpiicc' found, did you mean:
 Command 'mpicc' from package 'libmpich-dev' (universe)
 Command 'mpicc' from package 'libopenmpi-dev' (universe)
 Command 'mpicc' from package 'lam4-dev' (universe)
mpiicc: command not found
$ sudo find / -name "mpiicc"
# NO RESULT

@Kittur, Ok. Well we have two student licenses, mine and other student's, do you need both? I confirmed that both license cannot install MPI correctly for now and I'm sure mine could install MPI correctly.

In case,  the following is md5sum of the archive.

$ md5sum parallel_studio_xe_2016.tgz 
00b4de9727a906a3aff468c26dd3f89c  parallel_studio_xe_2016.tgz

This was useful! Thank you

0 Kudos