Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2161 Discussions

.nsfxxxx files generated at execution with mpi

martialp
Beginner
Hello

When I use my software running with Intel MPI 2.0 (sorry can't update MPI for the moment), I can see numerous temporary files named .nfsXXXXXXXX which worried my customers . The process running with MPI needs 4 files in input and generates4 files in output, all these files are read and written on a remote disk via the network and the I use 4 cpus.
Can you tell me more about these files, is there a relationship between the number of .nsfxxx files and the files in input/output?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dmitry_K_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - martialp
Hello

When I use my software running with Intel MPI 2.0 (sorry can't update MPI for the moment), I can see numerous temporary files named .nfsXXXXXXXX which worried my customers . The process running with MPI needs 4 files in input and generates4 files in output, all these files are read and written on a remote disk via the network and the I use 4 cpus.
Can you tell me more about these files, is there a relationship between the number of .nsfxxx files and the files in input/output?

Hi Martialp,

These files do not depend on the MPI version. These files were created as a temporary files when an open file was deleted on NFS mounted file systems. The file is created so the unfinished process can continue writing/reading to that file which was deleted. It stays around even after the process has finished.
Use fuser to see which pid is still keep the file open.
Basically, you can ignore this, not a serious problem in my mind.

Regards!
Dmitry
0 Kudos