Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Access violation with MKL_DSS

Luis_A_
Beginner

Hi there,

I found a strange problem when using MKL DSS, something related with "Access violation writing location", either with DSS_FACTOR_REAL or DSS_SOLVE_REAL. Problem seems to be computer dependent.

I prepared a small program with which the problem can be found.

In brief, we have a system of equations with neq=8, which I am trying to solve.

In some cases, like neq=8, when I try to solve the same system of equations twice, the problem appears.

Running:

Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 14.0.1.139 build 20131008

Windows 7/ Visual studio 2010

Already tried with Windows 8 / VS 2013 / Fortran 15.0.0.108 build 20147026 and the problem is the same.

Best regards,

Luis Alves

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Luis_A_
Beginner

Here is the Fortran code...

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I am able to test your program with IFort 11.1.070 (MKL 10.2.7), 14.0.4.237 and 15.0.0.108.

Only the oldest of these aborts inside MKL during the first call to DSS_SOLVE_REAL(), with an unhandled exception. The later compilers (with later versions of MKL) build EXEs that run to completion. Is it feasible for you to update your MKL installation? 

0 Kudos
Luis_A_
Beginner

Hi,

I have also version 15.0.0.108, and in may case the problem is the same.

I did not try in release, but in debug I found the same error.

Any solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Perhaps you have some VS settings that are culpable. It is also possible that there is a hard-to-reproduce bug that surfaces in your runs but not mine.

Here is the transcript of my "debug" compilation and run.

S:\lang\MKL>ifort /Qmkl /Od /traceback /extend_source MKL_problem.for
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE for applications running on IA-32, Version 15.0.0.108 Build 20140726
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 12.00.30723.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

-out:MKL_problem.exe
-subsystem:console
-incremental:no
"-libpath:C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\mkl\lib\ia32"
MKL_problem.obj

S:\lang\MKL>mkl_problem

S:\lang\MKL>

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Luis, I have created a simpler reproducer and posted it, see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/535447 . The difficulty with this is that the bug does not always occur. When we compile with different compiler options, then run it and experience a crash, we tend to see the options as the probable cause of the crash. However, what I found is that a single EXE, when run multiple times, will run fine and produce correct results most of the time, but will crash now and then.

I think that we have to rely on the Intel people to help with this problem, because it occurs deep inside the MKL library.

0 Kudos