Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

How Large is a Large Matrix ?

Vishnu
Novice

I was looking through the LAPACK documentation and came across various instances where there are different routines recommended for large and small matrices. For eg., SYEVD vs SYEVR ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/469180 ) - { last paragraph of the description section } .

But nowhere that I could find, is there any mention of how large, large exactly is. Does someone here know?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

There are SMP and distributed versions for both of these routines. Therefore, the problem sizes will be very large ( fit with RAM available on SMP or Cluster Systems correspondingly ). 

0 Kudos
Vishnu
Novice

Gennady Fedorov (Intel) wrote:

There are SMP and distributed versions for both of these routines. Therefore, the problem sizes will be very large ( fit with RAM available on SMP or Cluster Systems correspondingly ). 

I am currently using it on an SMP system. But what is the relative qualification in input matrix sizes that the documentation makes? You say that "the problem sizes will be very large". Do you mean to say that both of them take very large inputs and that it doesn't matter? If so, what does the doc mean?

0 Kudos