Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6957 Discussions

Incorrect library path in the dylibs for MKL.

Robert_Bell
Beginner

Hi all,

I am sure someone has already posted this, but I cannot seem to find it. It appears that MKL has a similar issue that IPP once had with its dylibs on Mac OS X. The correct path is not in the library (see below). This causes issues on Mac OS X where it is not always possible (or quite awkward) to set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable (such as for a plugin).

It is not possible for a user to update this, but needs to be done on your end (use -install_name) during the build.

Thanks,

Robert Bell. (www.egi.com)

Below is a comparisson between MKL's libguide and IPP's:

---

MKL's libguide.dylib:

$ otool -L libguide.dylib
libguide.dylib:
libguide.dylib (compatibility version 4.0.0, current version 4.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.3.6)

---

IPP's libguide.dylib:

$ otool -L libguide.dylib
libguide.dylib:
/Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/5.3/em64t/Libraries/libguide.dylib (compatibility version 4.0.0, current version 4.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.1.3)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Todd_R_Intel
Employee
Thank you Robert. I'll bring this up with the engineering team. -Todd
0 Kudos
Michele_D_
Beginner

Was there any update on it?

This seems to be an issue with the new Mac OS X 10.11, because the user is not longer allowed to export the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Michele, 

Thank you much for your notes.

Right, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH “not allowed” in some cases ( with the new Mac OS 10.11. Please let us know if you run into the problem.

Any MKL/IPP/DAAL team are working for the problem, should be addressed in next release update 2. 

Best Regards,

Ying 

0 Kudos
Michele_D_
Beginner

For me the problem occurs in the following cases:

1. When I build a Python module that links to MKL.
  2. When I use CMake with its built-in testing framework. When I use the commander "make test" the OS cannot find the linked MKL library. 

For the moment I worked around the problem by making symlinks from /usr/local/lib/libmkl_*.dylib to /opt/intel/mkl/lib/libmkl_*.dylib.

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Michele, 

Thanks for let us know and sharing the workaround.  It looks fine. 

Best Regards,

Ying. 

0 Kudos