Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6975 Discussions

Installing MKL 8.1 with license from C++ Compiler Pro 11

ryan_e
Beginner
Hello all,

I recently purchased a copy of Intel C++ Compiler professional version 11, which is said to include MKL. Due to software requirements I need to install MKL 8.1.

Previously, the license for C++ Compiler Professional 10 allowed me to install MKL 8.1 and compiler 9.1. The MKL 8.1 installer rejects the license file from C++ Compiler Pro 11. It appears that Intel has changed the license file formats when they went to C++ Compiler 11.0 professional.

Can I modify the license file from C++ Compiler Pro 11 to allow for MKL 8.1 installation, or do I need to contact Intel Support to get a new license file?

--Ryan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
Quoting - ryan.e
Hello all,

I recently purchased a copy of Intel C++ Compiler professional version 11, which is said to include MKL. Due to software requirements I need to install MKL 8.1.

Previously, the license for C++ Compiler Professional 10 allowed me to install MKL 8.1 and compiler 9.1. The MKL 8.1 installer rejects the license file from C++ Compiler Pro 11. It appears that Intel has changed the license file formats when they went to C++ Compiler 11.0 professional.

Can I modify the license file from C++ Compiler Pro 11 to allow for MKL 8.1 installation, or do I need to contact Intel Support to get a new license file?

--Ryan

Ryan,
No, you cannot modify the license file from Compiler Pro v.11 for installing MKL 8.1.
For installation of MKL 8.1 version, you have to purchase or renew ( if you had one - I checked your name into license database and found nothing ) the license for version 8.1.

Compiler Pro v.11 contains MKL v.10.1 and this version gives a lot of advantages against 8.1 you want to use. For more info please refer at the ..cppDocumentationmklRelease_Notes.htm.

--Gennady

PS:
I've forgot to add. That MKL 8.1 is EOL this time

0 Kudos
ryan_e
Beginner

Ryan,
No, you cannot modify the license file from Compiler Pro v.11 for installing MKL 8.1.
For installation of MKL 8.1 version, you have to purchase or renew ( if you had one - I checked your name into license database and found nothing ) the license for version 8.1.

Compiler Pro v.11 contains MKL v.10.1 and this version gives a lot of advantages against 8.1 you want to use. For more info please refer at the ..cppDocumentationmklRelease_Notes.htm.

--Gennady

PS:
I've forgot to add. That MKL 8.1 is EOL this time

Hi Gennady,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately our code is baselined against MKL8.1 and our customer does not want to move to a newer version at this time. Previously we could downgrade the MKL license to 8.1, why is that no longer the case?

Is there a discount available for MKL8.1 at this time? It seems a bit ridiculous that a downgrade that used to be permitted is no longer permitted -- I'm sure there are other Intel customers who are trying to keep to similar baseline configurations like we are.

Thanks.

--Ryan

EDIT: You will not see my name associated with any licenses, as they are purchased and registered by someone else. I'm a sysadmin who installs and maintains them. Send me a private message if you want that person's e-mail address.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The only reason I could imagine for continuing to use 8.1 would be if you wished to continue to support old binaries linked against the old shared libraries. If you have a running installation of the libraries, you can simply copy them over to support this case.
If you have adopted the new scheme of using the MKL which is integrated into the compiler, it will be confusing if you also use the old separate MKL for development, when the old MKL is not so well supported by the newer compiler.
You could submit a premier.intel.com request for the registrations to be transferred to you, if that is appropriate.
0 Kudos
ryan_e
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
The only reason I could imagine for continuing to use 8.1 would be if you wished to continue to support old binaries linked against the old shared libraries. If you have a running installation of the libraries, you can simply copy them over to support this case.
If you have adopted the new scheme of using the MKL which is integrated into the compiler, it will be confusing if you also use the old separate MKL for development, when the old MKL is not so well supported by the newer compiler.
You could submit a premier.intel.com request for the registrations to be transferred to you, if that is appropriate.

We're using an older version of the Compiler, 9.1, in addition to MKL8.1. I would love to move to the latest version of MKL and Compiler but you're exactly right, we have to support old binaries. The project won't be moving away from the older versions anytime soon... I've already fought this battle many times :-)

--Ryan

0 Kudos