Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

LINPACK interface to MKL/LAPACK

j0e
New Contributor I

Hi All

I often use older (and sometime new) fortran code that uses LINPACK, so I often replace those calls to LAPACK equivalent routines so that I may use MKL.  I have found that this can improve performance in some cases. This also allows easy use of Intel Phi coprocessors for large problems where offloading is warranted.

I was wondering if there exist a set of wrapper routines that in general will allow LINPACK to be replaced by MKL?

thanks,

joe

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Linpack was developed in the 1980s, and was superseded by Lapack, well before Intel became a major compiler vendor. Many Linpack routines do not have an exact Lapack replacement, but here is a guide for doing the conversion: http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lug/node147.html .

The file http://www.netlib.org/linpack/readme contains the statement

If you are interested in acquiring the entire LINPACK, it may
 make more sense to talk with NAG. NAG distribute the software
 on a mag tape for a nominal charge.

That should give you a good idea of the vintage of Linpack.

0 Kudos
j0e
New Contributor I

Thanks for the link mecej4, it is useful.  

I'm well aware of the vintage of LINPACK, as I was using it back in the 80's, lol.

Of course, there is still a lot of computational software, such as DAE solvers, benchmarks and the like, that still make extensive use of LINPACK.  Fortunately, the LINPACK routines I would like to replace have LAPACK counterparts.  I suspect someone else out there has written wrappers for all the LINPACK routines that can be mapped to LAPACK, so I was just scrounging.  I have written several myself, but they are sloppy.

cheers

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Joe, your comments touch upon an issue that has been of some concern. Netlib is not as well maintained as it used to be. Some of the e-mail links of moderators at netlib.sandia.gov are defunct, and it appears doubtful if will remain possible to submit bug reports and have corrections made in a reasonable period. It is a pity, because there is no other single site with the same breadth of coverage of NA topics as Ma Netlib.

0 Kudos