Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Licensing question for the MKL

hareson
Beginner
Hello All

First off I apologize if this question is in the wrong place, but I could not find the obvious place to ask Intel questions directly.

So, the question:
I am using the Intel MKL for use in small programs. However, I would like some of these to be part of our main software package, but since no-one else uses this performance tool, I was wondering if that was possible without purchasing a license for all who wanted to compile the full product.

My first idea was to provide my code as a statically linked library, which would allow others to interface to my code without needing to compile the parts containing the function calls to Intel MKL. Is this possible/legal with only a single license?

Redirects are also appreciated.

Thank you

Henrik Andresen
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The license terms are posted here
If you have a commercial license, you are entitled to include static linked MKL in your application, or your customer can use the redistributables. You'd have to test whether redistributables are sufficient for your rebuild.
0 Kudos
hareson
Beginner
Hi TimP

Thank you for your reply. The question might have been stated a bit unclear.

My query was more towards distribution internally in the company. Specifically, if another person has to compile our code, do we need a license for each person who compiles it? Even if the has been pre-compiled to be contained in a librayry that they do not themselves change?

Since I am the only one utilizing MKL it would be somewhat expensive to have 10 additional licenses simply to allow compilation.

An alternative would be to compile my own code as a DLL and then use this along with the redistributables, but the other option would be preferable.

Thank you

Henrik Andresen
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you can't afford a network license, compilation must be done by the person to whom the license is registered. It looks like a minimum network license would take care of you and your colleagues.
0 Kudos
hareson
Beginner
Ok

Thank you!

/Henrik
0 Kudos