Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6974 Discussions

MKL 10.0.2.018 on Linux 64 MKL FATAL ERROR

dan5
Beginner
Hi,

I'm trying to build using the MKL version above, and am having issues getting this error:

MKL FATAL ERROR: SO k/kernel/source/xormrq_omp.fxx;mkl_lapack_zunmrq;323;333;; not convinient for this processor.

when I run on a Intel Xeon system, having dynamically linked MKL. I then compiled up the pdepoissonc example, using "make soem64t", and I get the same error. The example runs fine on an opteron system.

If I compile with "make libem64t" it works on both opteron and Xeon processors.

So why not static link? I'd prefer to static link mkl, as my application is a plugin, not an exectuable, and might get moved around onto different systems. Sadly, I can't static link MKL, as the static libraries haven't been built with -fPIC and therefore I can't link against them in 64 bit, so I've had to use to *.so libraries.

Any good ideas of what's going on here? I'd believe it if I got that error on a Opteron and it all worked on the Xeon, but the other way round is a bit confusing.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dan5
Beginner
I've now downloaded and plumbed in 9.1.023, and it suffers from the same lack of -fPIC flags on the static library.

0 Kudos
dan5
Beginner
Hi,

I'm not sure if my first post was clear, so I'll try again:

Using the pdepoissonc example, build using

"make soem64t"

and the result will work fine on an Opteron system, but not a Xeon. On the Xeon, you'll get:

MKL FATAL ERROR: SO k/kernel/source/xormrq_omp.fxx;mkl_lapack_zunmrq;323;333;; not convinient for this processor.

(sic). Building the same example with

"make libem64t"

the result will work fine on both systems. The /proc/cpuinfo for the Xeon is:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel Xeon CPU 5140 @ 2.33GHz

I see the same errors in my product, but I can't static link the MKL libraries, as my product is a plugin and in 64 bit land those static libraries needed to have been built with a -fPIC flag, or a PIC version shipped with MKL to be linked into a dso.

Hope that makes more sense and someone can help!

0 Kudos
Todd_R_Intel
Employee
Your post seems clear enough. I gave this a try on a system with a different Xeon processor and it worked. I'll look around for a system with the same processor you're using.

Anyone else have this problem?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Lunev
New Contributor I
Hi!

Please check the correctness of LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The directory which contains MKL libraries need to be present in environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

-Vladimir

0 Kudos
dan5
Beginner
I'm pretty sure my LD_LIBRARY_PATH is right - and I'd expect an entirely different error if this were the case, wouldn't I, as it wouldn't even be able to find the library to give me this error message?

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

We foundit isa bug in MKL. It onlyappears when library libmkl_mc.so which have not been found in the searching path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH )or in the directory where MKL is installed.

We have fixed the problem in MKL 10.1 beta

( Here is the beta program register webpagehttps://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/AutoGen.aspx?ProductID=1152&AccountID=&ProgramID=&RequestDt=&rm=BETA〈=

and MKL 10 update 4 (download from register center)

Please let us know if any problem

WBR,

Ying

0 Kudos