Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6977 Discussions

MKL 11.1 broken on Xeon E7-4850 chipset under Windows Server 2008 R1, SP1?

Tony_Garratt
Beginner

We have been using Version 11.1 of the Fortran compiler and MKL that comes with that version sucessfully for some time on many different chip sets and OS (Windows and Linux 32 and 64 bit).

We recently bought a 4 CPU machine with Xeon E7-4850 chips. Each CPU has 10 cores - making a total of 40 cores.

We tested our software (based on mainly Fortran but with some C++) running under 64bit linux on this hardware: no problems. This was compiled using Intel 11.1 C++ and Fortran compilers.

We then installed Windows Server 2008 on the machine and ran the same set of tests and are getting crashes when we call MKL. This was compiled using Intel 11.1 Fortran and VS2005 C++.

In one crash, I traced this down to a call to DTSRM which crashed. In another case, there was a crash to an LAPACK call. So my suspicions point to MKL. Note that this code works fine everywhere else we know off - the issue is Windows 2008 on this hardware only.

My question is: are there any known issues in using MKL from compiler 11.1 on this hardware and OS combination?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
Tony,
- it might be a known issue with Windows Server 2008R2 SP1Operation system and with 10.2.* version which You are using ( see here the article describes which version of MKL is installed be Compiler version 11.*).
Please see this thread for more details ( the last thread #27 ).
- we can recommend You try the latest versionof Intel MKL. All versions since the release of Intel MKL 10.3 (available in Intel Composer XE 2011) have been fixed to avoid this problem.
--Gennady
0 Kudos
Tony_Garratt
Beginner

Rebuilding with MKL 10.3 fixed the problem. But now I have another problem:

Do you support using 11.1 compilers with the more recent MKL 10.3 version?

thanks
tony

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you wish to use the newer MKL with 11.1 compiler, it should be OK provided that you link against the newer libiomp5 (if using mkl threaded).
0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel
Hi Tony,
We have checked how dtrsm works with this configuration ( OS + CPU ) and with MKL version 10.2.5.
Please see our test attached. in readme I indicated all linking modes which we used.
this test works fine on our side.
Would You please let me know the exact version of Fortran Compiler you are using - it will help me to identify the exact version on MKL.
--Gennady
0 Kudos