Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6957 Discussions

MKLConfig.cmake is great but should add further granularity for BLAS/LAPACK (official cmake support)

Emmenlauer__Mario
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot for adding cmake package configuration file "MKLConfig.cmake". This is really helpful to use MKL in a clean and platform independent way.

I would like to add support for this config into (official) cmake. The FindBLAS and FindLAPACK scripts from cmake currently find the libraries one by one, with a significant effort (see https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/blob/master/Modules/FindBLAS.cmake and https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/blob/master/Modules/FindLAPACK.cmake). I think using "MKLConfig.cmake" would be more clean and generic, and would allow Intel to better maintain this support via "MKLConfig.cmake" in the future.

However there is a problem: Currently "MKLConfig.cmake" provides only one target, `MKL::MKL`. For cmake it would be preferable if there where separate targets for BLAS and for LAPACK. Not all users want all of MKL when they request only BLAS or only LAPACK in cmake. Would it be possible to add reduced targets `MKL::BLAS` and `MKL::LAPACK`? Then it would be great if target `MKL::MKL` links `MKL::BLAS` and `MKL::LAPACK`, so that users can mix and mingle all targets and cmake "will do the right thing".

There is a corresponding discussion in the upstream cmake issue tracker with a relevant comment here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/issues/22831#note_1169218

Thanks a lot for your consideration!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ruqiu_C_Intel

Hi Mario,

Thank you again for reaching us. We will put this new feature into backlog list, and will notice it in release notes when it's available.

This issue is closing and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only. 

Have a good day,

Ruqiu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Mario,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Glad to know that the MKLConfig.cmake file helps you in using MKL.

>>Would it be possible to add reduced targets `MKL::BLAS` and `MKL::LAPACK`? 

Thanks for bringing this up. we will try to address this issue once after discussing it with the concerned team and will get back to you.

Regards,

Vidya.

Emmenlauer__Mario
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot @GVid , I appreciate your support!

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Mario,

We are working on your issue internally, we will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos
Ruqiu_C_Intel

Hi Mario,

Thank you again for reaching us. We will put this new feature into backlog list, and will notice it in release notes when it's available.

This issue is closing and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only. 

Have a good day,

Ruqiu

0 Kudos