Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Pardiso pointer (pt) type

Dinesh_S_
Beginner

Hi,

I am using pardiso solver in c++ under visual studio 2012 (x64). What should be the proper type of pt (int or long int). I cam currently using it as void *. Also I am linking with interface layer  lp64. Should I be using ilp64?

When I used it as long int, my run would crash in Release mode, but not in debug mode. However it seems to run fine if I use void *

Thanks

Dinesh

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

The datatype of pt is actually not about lp64 or ilp64, it only about program on which platform. If your program is build with x86, the void* is 4 bytes, if your problem is build with x64 platform, the void* is 8 bytes. According to your problem, void* would be the best solution. If you insist to use integer datatype to define pt, please write your code like below in windows:

#if defined (_WIN64)
#define INTEGER long long int
#elif defined (_WIN32)
#define INTEGER int
#endif
INTEGER pt[64];

If your program is for 64bit integer which means all integer data are saved and calculated as 64bits, then you could use MKL_INT and call 64bits interface pardiso_64 and link with ilp64, otherwise, please use lp64 library.

Best regards,
Fiona

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

/* Internal solver memory pointer pt, */
    /* 32-bit: int pt[64]; 64-bit: long int pt[64] */
    /* or void *pt[64] should be OK on both architectures */

0 Kudos
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

In x86 platform, the size of void* 4 bytes, but in x64 platform is 8 bytes. In windows, for x86, int is same as long(4 bytes); for x64 platform/ 64bits integer(ilp64), please use long long int(8 bytes). But in Linux, long is 8 bytes in x64.

I recommend to use MKL_INT, it's 4 bytes for x86/x64 with lp64; and 8 bytes for x86/x64 with ilp64. 

0 Kudos
Dinesh_S_
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm, do you recommend, on Windows x64, link against ilp64 (not lp64), and use MKL_INT as data type for the internal data array (pt) ?

0 Kudos
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

The datatype of pt is actually not about lp64 or ilp64, it only about program on which platform. If your program is build with x86, the void* is 4 bytes, if your problem is build with x64 platform, the void* is 8 bytes. According to your problem, void* would be the best solution. If you insist to use integer datatype to define pt, please write your code like below in windows:

#if defined (_WIN64)
#define INTEGER long long int
#elif defined (_WIN32)
#define INTEGER int
#endif
INTEGER pt[64];

If your program is for 64bit integer which means all integer data are saved and calculated as 64bits, then you could use MKL_INT and call 64bits interface pardiso_64 and link with ilp64, otherwise, please use lp64 library.

Best regards,
Fiona

0 Kudos