Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Redistributables for MKL, missing redist.txt?

Eric_Backus
Beginner

Hi,

I have a paid copy of the Intel MKL, but not the Intel compiler. We use MKL to speed up processing in an application that we sell. I just installed version 2017 update 2. Unlike previous versions of MKL, I don't see any redist.txt file. Yet the license still refers to redist.txt as listing the files which can be redistributed.

Where did redist.txt go? How can I legally redistribute the MKL DLLs with our application if it's not there for me to verify that the files I distribute are legal?

Related question: the MKL libraries depend on libiomp5md.dll. We could include that DLL in our installer to make it available to the end customer. However, I notice that Intel provides an installer for compiler support libraries (ww_icl_redist_msi_2017.2.187.zip, which contains two .msi files). I think it would be better for me to include the Intel-created .msi files in my installer rather than install libiomp5md.dll myself. Is this legal? I think it should be, but since I don't actually have the Intel compiler I'm not sure about the legality of distributing and installing ww_icl_redist_msi_2017.2.187 on a customer computer.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Eric,

You can find the redist.txt file under "mkl install dir"\licensing\mkl\en directory. For more information about distribution of your application, you may check here https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mkl-support/faq. Regarding including .msi files in your installer, let me double check and get back later. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Eric_Backus
Beginner

That's the problem: the redist.txt file is not there. The mkl subdirectory is not there at all.

The installer file that I used is w_mkl_2017.2.187.exe, an 877 MB file which I downloaded from Intel. I ran this, and used all default settings. This installed files under C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools. There is a "licensing" directory under this at C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\parallel_studio_xe_2017.2.046\licensing. But there is no "mkl" directory under that.

Under C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\parallel_studio_xe_2017.2.046\licensing I see: EULA.rtf, psxe_support_mkl.txt, third-party-programs.txt, and a ja directory. The ja directory contains EULA.rtf and third-party-programs.txt. That's it, no other files or directories. I did a complete search of everything under C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools and there is no redist.txt file anywhere.

I tried a complete uninstall and re-install, but this made no difference. Maybe I have the wrong installer? But I got it directly from the Intel website.

0 Kudos
Alexander__William
Neither the 2017 nor 2018 compilers contain the redist.txt files for any of the support libraries that accompany the full Composer Suite product. In the 2013 edition, we saw many of these redist.txt files, each suited for a particular component of the Suite: C/C++, FORTRAN, IPP, MKL, etc. Without these files, it is impossible for us to comply with the terms of the licensing agreement when distributing dynamically linked software.
0 Kudos