Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.f90 missing

Daniel_F_6
Beginner

I'm running parallel_studio_xe_2020.0.088 on CentOS 7.  I'm trying to compile the PARDISO example for complex unsymmetric matrices using the following:

make libintel64 mpi=intelmpi compiler=gnu interface=lp64 ompthreads=8 mpidir=/opt/intel/impi/2019.6.166/intel64/bin examples=cl_solver_complex_unsym

I get the following output

make ext=a  run
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/mkl/examples/cluster_sparse_solverf'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/mkl/include/mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.f90', needed by `_results/gnu_intelmpi_lp64_intel64_a/mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/mkl/examples/cluster_sparse_solverf'
make: *** [libintel64] Error 2

Indeed when I look in /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/mkl/include/, the file mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.f90 is not there.  I have an older 2018 version of the suite, and it's not there either.    

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

Checking the installation on my part, I see this file into include directory. that's true for lin and win os. I attached this file into this thread.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

see what I check: 

$ ls /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/mkl/include/ | grep mkl_clluster
mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.f90
mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.fi
mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.h

0 Kudos
Daniel_F_6
Beginner

That's weird.  I only have the *.h files.  There are no f90 or fi files in that directory for me.  Thanks for posting the file.

0 Kudos
Daniel_F_6
Beginner

Would you mind posting the fi file too?  It's complaining about missing that as well.  I wonder if this is some subtlety of having Parallel Studio C++ vs. C++ & Fortran.  I'm using gfortran.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

ok, we will attach this file, but you probably try to re-install the package. we have never heard about such an issue and suspect something wrong happened during the installation time. 

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

the mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.fi couldn't be attached with *.fi extension by this IDZ engine restriction. I just rename this file as mkl_cluster_sparse_solver.txt. You could rename it to *.fi. we are sorry for the inconvenience. 

0 Kudos
Daniel_F_6
Beginner

Thank you.  I am able to compile and run the example now.  

I did try to repair the entire Parallel Studio suite, but the example folder contents are still the same.  Just to be clear, my license is for Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for C++ Linux, and I'm installing 2020 Initial Release.  I've installed the package on two different CentOS 7 boxes with the same result.  Here are the contents of /opt/intel/mkl/examples

cblas                   examples_cluster_f.tgz  lapacke        solvers_eec
cdftc                   examples_core_c.tgz     pblasc         spblasc
cdftf                   fftw2xc                 pdepoissonc    transc
cluster_sparse_solverc  fftw2x_cdft             pdettc         versionqueryc
cluster_sparse_solverf  fftw3xc                 scalapackf     vmlc
datafittingc            fftw3x_cdft             servicefuncsc  vslc
dftc                    fftw3xf_cdft            serv_sdli
examples_cluster_c.tgz  lapackc                 solverc

I noticed that I'm also missing "solverf".  This is what I was originally looking for as I only want to run PARDISO in a single-node environment.  But I thought that maybe the example had been upgraded to demonstrate cluster operation as well.  But after doing some further investigation, I believe I should have a solverf folder as well.  In fact, if there is supposed to be parallelism of all C and Fortran examples, then it looks like I'm missing several Fortran examples.

My /opt/intel/mkl/include folder has only *.h files.  

I'm also missing libmkl_gf_lp64.a in /opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64 or /opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64_lin.  I do have  libmkl_gf_lp64.so.  This seems strange.

As a further experiment, I completely uninstalled all Intel products.  I then installed only the MKL 2020 Initial Release package.  All Fortran examples, libraries, and (what I think is) proper structure of the MLKROOT/include directory are there.  I inspected the rpms in the MKL and the Parallel Studio packages, and they look similar for MKL.  For example, I see rpms about GNU Fortran in both.

I tried to reinstall Parallel Studio from scratch.  I paid close attention to the installed options list, and I noticed that MKL for Fortran is not installed by default and must be manually selected.  The installer however gives me the impression that it's installing "everything".  Unless I choose the custom install option, the user won't be presented with the fact that MKL Fortran is being skipped.  Furthermore, even on the custom install, it explcitily says I'm installed everything (#3):

Configuration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Review the configuration settings below. You can customize the settings or
accept them and begin installation now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Accept configuration and begin installation [ default ]

2. Change install Directory      [ /opt/intel ]
   3. Change components to install  [ All ]
   4. Change advanced options
   5. View pre-install summary

h. Help
   b. Back
   q. Quit installation

Please type a selection or press "Enter" to accept default choice [ 1 ]: 

When I select 3, which I wouldn't otherwise do if I hadn't had this problem, I see that MKL Fortran is actually not being installed.  This makes me a little distructful of the various "All" indicators in the installer.  Personally, I consider this is a bug in the installer.  I'll file a support request and see if this might get changed in the future.

For completeness, after manually installing everything, the examples are there with all necessary files, and everything is compiling appropriately.

Again, thank you for your help sharing those files and pointing me in the right directions.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

thanks for the feedback and if you will submit the request - it would be fine. 

0 Kudos