Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

sparse matrix multiplication

liunsteingmail_com
Hi all
I'm trying to solve a large scale sparse least square problem by using normal equations A'Ax=A'b
And i am stuck with constructing the matrix A'A .

I'm using sparse blas function mkl_dcsrmultcsr for A'A(is this the right choice ?)
the problem is that i have to pre-allocate the resulting matrix in memory but this is too large.
what are the solutions in this situation ?

i remember there is a techinque for not constructing the A'A explicitely. but i can't find it anymore.

otherwise is there a mkl sparse function that multiplies two sparse matrix and return another sparse matrix ?

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - jaewonj
-The mkl_dcsrmultcsr takes two sparse matrces as input and returns a sparse matrix.

See this thread and scroll down to Sergey's response for useful details.

A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jaewonj
Novice
Hi all
I'm trying to solve a large scale sparse least square problem by using normal equations A'Ax=A'b
And i am stuck with constructing the matrix A'A .

I'm using sparse blas function mkl_dcsrmultcsr for A'A(is this the right choice ?)
the problem is that i have to pre-allocate the resulting matrix in memory but this is too large.
what are the solutions in this situation ?

i remember there is a techinque for not constructing the A'A explicitely. but i can't find it anymore.

otherwise is there a mkl sparse function that multiplies two sparse matrix and return another sparse matrix ?

thanks in advance

Q. otherwise is there a mkl sparse function that multiplies two sparse matrix and return another sparse matrix ?

-The mkl_dcsrmultcsr takes two sparse matrces as input and returns a sparse matrix.
0 Kudos
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - jaewonj

A.
0 Kudos
liunsteingmail_com
Quoting - ArturGuzik

A.
thanks
the "request" parameter is quite confusing but now i get it

0 Kudos