oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1260 Discussions

How to link ABAQUS with Intel One API toolkits to run FORTRAN SUBROUTINES

AsimGautam
Novice

Hi

I am not able to link ABAQUS with Intel One API. I installed the INTEL ONE API Base toolkit and ONE API HPC toolkits. In the past there used to be INTEL PARALLEL STUDIO and the old fashioned way to link ABAQUS with INTEL PARALLEL STUDIO (to run the FORTRAN subroutines in ABAQUS) was by editing the ABAQUS2019.bat file located at the commands directory inside simulia folder and by calling the batch files ifortvars and mklvars but now it is not possible to link ABAQUS with ONE API as those batch files are not present inside the ONE API directory. Intel has highlighted that ONE API toolkit is the replacement of the older INTEL PARALLEL STUDIO.

Please help me to link the ABAQUS with the ONE API toolkit so that I can use it to run FORTRAN subroutines in ABAQUS. 

The procedure I followed for reference.

Installed Microsoft visual studio 

Installed one API base toolkit

Installed one API HPC toolkit

Installed ABAQUS

Now I am stuck what to do ?? Please help me out.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
SAR24
Beginner

Hi @oaeres ,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've managed to link back my Abaqus to fortran compiler. 

For those who wants to try at your own risk, below are the steps I took:

(My previous setup was Abaqus 2019 + VS 2019 + Intel Parallel XE)

1) I didn't bother to uninstall parallel XE. So I leave it as is. 

2) Install OneAPI Base kit first, then install OneAPI HPC kit. Select all recommended installation.

3) Once both installation completed, edit abq2019.bat (in C:\Simulia\Commands). Need to set path for fortran compiler and mkl. Refer lines below:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.1.1\windows\bin\intel64;
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.1.1\env\vars.bat" -arch intel64
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mkl\2021.1.1\env\vars.bat" intel64

Then, save the file.

4) Now need to edit abaqus_v6.env file (in C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\SimulationServices\V62019X\win_b64\SMA\site) as follow:

# abaqus V6 Environment File
# This file is used to import other environment files located in the site
# directory. Custom parameters can be added here, but it is recommended to
# use the custom_v6.env file instead.

import os, driverUtils

# Utility function for loading site environment files
def importEnv(name, ldict=locals(), gdict=globals()):
from driverUtils import locateSite, locateFile
env = locateFile(locateSite(), '', name)
if env:
execfile(env, gdict, ldict)
else:
print "Cannot locate environment file: ", name

# Import parameters common to all platforms
importEnv('basic_v6.env')

# Import MPI specific parameters
importEnv('mpi_config.env')

# Import platform specific parameters such as compiler and linker settings
platform = driverUtils.getPlatform()
importEnv(driverUtils.getPlatform() + '.env')

# onCaeGraphicsStartup() function to configure graphics
# card specific settings for CAE & Viewer
importEnv('graphicsConfig.env')

# Import site specific parameters such as licensing and doc parameters
importEnv('custom_v6.env')

del importEnv, driverUtils, platform

compile_fortran += ['/names:lowercase',]

Then, save the file.

5) To double check if the link is successful, go to Abaqus Commands, and enter command below without the " " marks:

"abaqus info=system" (note here the fortran compiler is successfully linked with 2021.1.1 version)

"abaqus verify -all" (abaqus will conduct tests on all installed modules include subroutine examples)

Hopefully it helps to those who just got their student license on Parallel XE expired!

View solution in original post

93 Replies
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Asim,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

In the oneAPI toolkit, we have a compiler directory where you can find the vars.bat file.

If you want to use ifort/ifx then try using " C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\env\vars.bat ", similarly for MKL you can use " C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mkl\2021.1.1\env " and it will work.

Hope this will help you to solve your problem, reach out to us if you have further issues.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

AsimGautam
Novice

I have tried that but ABAQUS 2019 fails to link with the Intel Fortran compiler. I am a graduate student and I need to run Fortran subroutines in ABAQUS. My University has a license for ABAQUS 2019 and I am not able to use the One API toolkit to run Fortran subroutines in ABAQUS 2019. ABAQUS 2019 seems to be incompatible with One API toolkit for running Fortran Subroutines. I  request you to provide me the a way to download and access Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 so that I can go about doing my research. I have tried everything from going through the intel and Abaqus forums and tried every trick in the book to make ABAQUS 2019 run Fortran Subroutines using One API toolkits. I would request you to provide me the access to download and use Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 so that I can continue with my research work.

Monsterball
Beginner

Same here, I cannot use subroutine in Abaqus now due to the Parallel Studio XE license expired. Hope they can renew our license so that we can continue our research. 

Kale
Novice

Hi!

I've been trying to link OneAPI compiler to Abaqus 2018 sort of as suggested. I'm afraid it can never happen since Abaqus is searching for the "ifort" compiler (and I really don't know how to change this in Abaqus). So, it would be great, for several researchers and students around the world, if you let us renew the licenses of Intel parallel (at least until Abaqus catch-up and it starts looking for the OneAPI fpga compilers - is it fpga_libtool or fpga_crossgen for fortran? or which one is it?). I have had student licenses before but it seems I can not renew them, how should I do to renew the said license? 

Regards!

AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Asim,

We are moving this thread to Intel Parallel Studio Forum, they will definitely provide you the details to download and install Intel Parallel Studio.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

Andrew_Kocak
Beginner

I have been experiencing this exact issue for a few weeks now. I have also tried redirecting to the new Fortran compiler multiple times, but I also can't get it to link. My group leader is getting frustrated I am not making progress on my research. If anyone can provide a method of downloading Intel Parallel 2019 you will save me much heart ache!!!!

Sayed
Beginner
0 Kudos
Qinjun
Beginner

Hi, I have just experienced the same problem , could you please offer me the old version of Inter Parallel studio XE ?

Devorah_H_Intel

Which version is supported by ABAQUS?

0 Kudos
AsimGautam
Novice

I need the most recent update of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 cluster edition in order to link Fortran subroutines with ABAQUS 2019. I also need the licensing.  Thank you !!!

Andrew_Kocak
Beginner

I agree the latest version of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 would be perfect. Here is a link to detailed instructions published by Chiyun Zhong from the University of Toronto. For someone with a limited computer science background, I found it helpful.

Installing Abaqus User Subroutine Linking ABAQUS 2020 - Visual Studio 2019 - Parallel Studio XE 2020 Fortran Compiler 

0 Kudos
AsimGautam
Novice

Thanks. My University has the rights to ABAQUS 2019 so in order to link the Fortran Subroutines Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 cluster edition is the best thing to have. 

Hessein
Novice

I have  ABAQUS 2017. I need to download the student version of intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 update 4.

I do not know where I can download it. It is not easily found on the website. Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

2016 version of PSXE is not available anymore.

2017 should work 

https://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/13780/parallel_studio_xe_2017_update8_setup.exe 

(nobody said anything about the OS - so I posted Windows packages)

0 Kudos
Asma1
Beginner

Hi How can we obtain the license file as a student? 

0 Kudos
AsimGautam
Novice

Please Provide me with the windows version of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 cluster edition. ABAQUS 2019 is compatible with that and My university has the the rights to ABAQUS 2019. 

Devorah_H_Intel

Here the link to download the latest PSXE Cluster:

https://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/17103/parallel_studio_xe_2020_update4_cluster_edition_setup.exe

This article answers frequently asked questions regarding the transition from Intel® Parallel Studio XE and Intel® System Studio to Intel® oneAPI Commercial Product Support.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/oneapi-commercial-faq.html 

0 Kudos
Hessein
Novice

Can you please direct me on how to obtain a serial number for students doe PSXE 2020.

I created an account but the software during installation requires a serial number.

Regards,

Hessein

Hessein
Novice

A serial number for PSXE  2017 Update 8 would work too please! They say it is free. I do not know where to get it