Intel® Rendering Toolkit
Receive answers to your big data visualization questions from community peers and Intel experts.
27 Discussions

I am unable to establish a VNC connection to openAPI Rendering Toolkit.

Jhake
Beginner

I have tried following the tutorial resource, here:

https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/documentation/rendering-toolkit-for-linux/

I get as far as this command:

ssh sXXX-nXXX.aidevcloud

There I substitute the Xs with the numbers I read after starting the TurboVNC server:

Desktop 'TurboVNC: s888-n999:1 (u59378)' started on display s888-n999:1

In this case it would give me: ssh s888-n999.aidevcloud

After tying that a message welcoming me to Ubuntu 18.04.4 appears which ends with:

359 packages can be updated.
225 updates are security updates.

New release '20.04.1 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

If I try to "do-release-upgrade" it says:

Checking for a new Ubuntu release
Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading.

At that point, I don't know what to do in that console. I don't know if the server has started and that's just information I can do  nothing about. If I do a vncserver -list, I get a display number with a process ID number.

If I then try to start a TurboVNC client connecting to localhost:1 it throws a "failed to get server address" error. 

The instructions say:

Establish an SSH tunnel for VNC traffic

Note: Please review the Linux or macOS* (SSH client) page in order to make the necessary SSH configuration changes required for this step.

So I expect I may have to set up SSH tunnelling on my client system using another man page (If I'm right, I don't know why it doesn't tell me how to do it on the Intel page?)

I don't know how to do this. The help files I have read tell me I need to know the IP address of the remote host, which I don't know.

This is as far as I have got. Am I supposed to set up SSH tunnelling? If so, how? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gopika_Intel

Hi

Thank you for posting in Intel oneAPI Rendering Toolkit forum. We were able to reproduce the issue. The issue was resolved after following the below steps.

1.      Add this configuration at the end of the config file (mentioned in https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/documentation/connect-with-ssh-linux-macos/)

# SSH Tunnel config
Host *.aidevcloud
User uXXXXX
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/devcloud-access-key-XXXXX.txt
ProxyCommand ssh -T devcloud nc %h %p
LocalForward 5022 localhost:22
LocalForward 5901 localhost:5901

2.      The steps you followed are correct upto

ssh sXXX-nXXX.aidevcloud

3.      Please ensure that you ran the above command in a new terminal

4.      We saw that you gave localhost:1 as the VNC server. Ensure the password given is the otp that is obtained after running the below command in the first terminal

/opt/TurboVNC/bin/vncserver -otp

See if you still get that error.

Regards

Gopika

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi

Thank you for posting in Intel oneAPI Rendering Toolkit forum. We were able to reproduce the issue. The issue was resolved after following the below steps.

1.      Add this configuration at the end of the config file (mentioned in https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/documentation/connect-with-ssh-linux-macos/)

# SSH Tunnel config
Host *.aidevcloud
User uXXXXX
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/devcloud-access-key-XXXXX.txt
ProxyCommand ssh -T devcloud nc %h %p
LocalForward 5022 localhost:22
LocalForward 5901 localhost:5901

2.      The steps you followed are correct upto

ssh sXXX-nXXX.aidevcloud

3.      Please ensure that you ran the above command in a new terminal

4.      We saw that you gave localhost:1 as the VNC server. Ensure the password given is the otp that is obtained after running the below command in the first terminal

/opt/TurboVNC/bin/vncserver -otp

See if you still get that error.

Regards

Gopika

Jhake
Beginner

Thank you Gopika,

Now I am able to start the remote desktop session. 

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the confirmation and accepting the response as solution. Glad to know your issue is resolved. As the issue is resolved, we’d no longer be monitoring this thread. For further queries and issues please raise a new thread. We’d be glad to help you.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos