Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

ASSERT in simple Parallel_for

stoodsmj
Beginner

Hi,

I am starting out with TBB, and whist having success in some areas, and seeing dramatic performance improvements, I have come a across an issue, I am struggling to understand.

I have an unordered map:-

[cpp]

typedef tbb::concurrent_unordered_map<CString, CGeoStation *, UTCHashCompareNoCase> CGeoStationConcurrentUnorderedMap;[/cpp]

and my variable based on this is

[cpp]

CGeoStationConcurrentUnorderedMap * m_pStations;

[/cpp]

I have an issue when running the parallel_for. 

Note that the work done is commented out, in essence it is an empty loop.

[cpp] tbb::parallel_for(m_pStations->range(), [&] (CGeoStationConcurrentUnorderedMap::const_range_type & range)
{
for(auto it = range.begin(); it != range.end(); it++)
{
//if(WildCmpNoCase((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR) strSearch, (LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR) it->second->GetLabel()))
//{
// m_theMatch.push_back(it->second);
//}
}
});[/cpp]

I get the assert 'my_begin_node is after my_midpoint_node' at line 822 in _concurrent_unordered_impl.h

[cpp]

#if TBB_USE_ASSERT

else {
sokey_t mid_key = solist_t::get_safe_order_key(my_midpoint_node);
__TBB_ASSERT( begin_key < mid_key, "my_begin_node is after my_midpoint_node" );
__TBB_ASSERT( mid_key <= end_key, "my_midpoint_node is after my_end_node" );
}
#endif // TBB_USE_ASSERT

[/cpp]

I am not sure what the assert means, or what could be causing it, or what I need to do to fix my code.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anton_M_Intel
Employee
Thanks for your report! Can you isolate the problem into a simple reproducer test? Is this loop executed concurrently to other operations over this map? Which OS/compilers of what version do you use?
stoodsmj
Beginner
Hi Anton, Its probably a bit difficult to isolate. It works well when I have 3K item in the map, but when I run a larger dataset with 20K items, it has the problem. I use Windows 7, MSVS 2012, but using the VS2010 libraries. I am not aware of any other looping with the map, BUT, as this map also feeds a GIS style map view as well, it is possible that a background paint utilising the map might be occurring, but I will disable that, and test. Mike
stoodsmj
Beginner
Hi Anton, I have disabled the GIS map drawing code, so I am pretty sure that there is no other looping of the map of stations, and I am still getting the assert. Mike
stoodsmj
Beginner
I have built a simple MFC app. It seems to be OK in 32 bit, but I get asserts in 64 bit. I have attached the file. I am probably at this stage looking as to what may cause the assert.
stoodsmj
Beginner
I have solved the problem by moving to concurrenthashmap Mike