Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Building for Visual Studio 2017

maclean__hector
Beginner

Aloha

I'm building a tool that is dependent on TBB with a few levels in between.  The rest of the system is built with Visual Studio 2017 (v141) SDK version 10.0.15063.0.   I need to have a compatible version of tbb but the last release is v140.  Instructions for rebuilding are not very clear in this regard. 

Any help getting something built would be greatly appreciated!

jerry isdale,  haiku, hi, usa

0 Kudos
2 Replies
maclean__hector
Beginner

well shoots, just after posting I found the build/vs2012 folder.  Copied that to vs2017, then opened the .sln and let it update everything, and it worked... sorta.   Builds tbb.dll and tbb.lib ok, but both tbbmalloc and tbbmalloc_proxy fail to build in x64 (release or debug) - complaining about missing windows.h headers etc

the examples/test_all/fibonacci also fails, not finding windows.h

tbb-2017_u5\include\tbb\machine/windows_api.h(26): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory

0 Kudos
Alexei_K_Intel
Employee

Hello Jerry,

Pay attention to the moment that Visual Studio 2017 uses vc140 (not vc141) version of the runtime: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/2017-redistribution-vs#visual-c-runtime-files. It makes Intel TBB library files in vc14 subdirectory compatible with Visual Studio 2017. So you do not need to rebuild Intel TBB libraries and you can safely use prebuilt binaries in vc14 subdirectory (with Visual Studio 2017 environment).

Regards,
Alex

0 Kudos