Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Can TBB run on uniprocessor?

chenkai036
Beginner

New comer's greetings,

The topic seems stupid but what I have nowis a desktop with uniprocessor. I am interested in TBB and would like to have a free-trial if TBB could deal with that.

Best regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890

it should work there.

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
chenkai036
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I installed TBB trial in my uniprocessor desktop and set the environment in VS2008. Compiling and building process worked fine but it threw exceptions whenever the example exectable runs, complaining about access violation in tbb_debug.dll in Debug mode and Illegal instruction in tbbmalloc.dll in Release mode. My platform is Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2008. I'm totally at a loss about the root cause. Anyone could help? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

was this example from tbb examples? or you write your own sample?

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
What processor is inside? Can you build from source?
0 Kudos
chenkai036
Beginner
Sorry for the late reply. I tried both, writing from the scratch and from the TBB examples.
0 Kudos
chenkai036
Beginner
Sorry for the late reply. My processor is AMD Athlon XP 2600+. Is that the problem? I'm not quite sure.
0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
Sorry, it doesn't ring a bell, and I don't have time right now to study the specifications, but maybe somebody else will be able to conclude something from that. If you can build from source, do you know how to target your specific processor? Maybe the compiler will be able to tell you something, although in debug mode you saw only an access violation, which would not be detectable like an illegal instruction as you get in Release mode.

(Small portion of first paragraph and complete second paragraph removed because it wouldn't apply to a uniprocessor.)
0 Kudos