Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Compiling TBB 2017 U7 under C++17

Simon_Lo
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to get TBB 2017 U7 compiling with GCC 7.1, using C++17 (or rather, --std=c++1z) mode. I hacked the linux.gcc.inc file to add the appropriate flag, but compilation failed due to use of dynamic exception specifications in tbbmalloc. Specifically:

tbbmalloc/proxy.cpp:234

tbbmalloc/proxy.cpp:242

There may, of course, be others but I can only get this far.

Dynamic exception specifications are removed in C++17. Not only that, they have been deprecated since C++11. I believe they could be removed without significant impact. How about it?

Happy to report no errors, or even warnings, compiling libtbb.so under the same conditions!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Simon_Lo
Beginner

I forgot to mention - I can look into submitting a patch to remove any exception specifications, if I can get confirmation that this would be an acceptable contribution. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alexei_K_Intel
Employee

The contributions to support new compilers (or new modes/features) are highly appreciated. However, I cannot promise that it will be contributed because it depends on many factors (e.g. other urgent activities, patch quality and so on); but it will be certainly considered.

Regards,
Alex

0 Kudos