Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Compiling with TBB is causing errors

Katz__Kyler
Beginner

Windows 10 Version 1909

tbb-2020.1-win

GCC

Hello, I am trying to compile a TBB program with G++ that I can get to compile in VS, so I know that TBB is installed correctly. My tbb folder is in C:\

This is what my current Makefile looks like. https://www.codepile.net/pile/lDwJ445v 

These are the errors that I am getting. I am not sure if I am linking the library incorrectly, or if it's something else. 

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\New folder\OpenMP vs TBB>make
g++  -IC:\tbb-2020.1-win\tbb\include -LC:\tbb\tbb\lib\intel64\vc14 -O3 -o pps -fopenmp -ltbb avl.o main.o parPlaneSweep.o
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x433f): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::init()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x435d): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_root_with_context_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x439d): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::get_initial_auto_partitioner_divisor()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x43d0): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::~task_group_context()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x47d5): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::init()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x47f3): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_root_with_context_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x4835): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::get_initial_auto_partitioner_divisor()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x4868): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::~task_group_context()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x7743): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x776c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_child_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x7a66): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::is_group_execution_cancelled() const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x7abc): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x7ae5): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_child_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x8cab): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x8cd4): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_child_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x8f69): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::is_group_execution_cancelled() const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x8fb4): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text+0x8fdd): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_child_proxy::allocate(unsigned int) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0x43): undefined reference to `tbb::interface7::internal::task_arena_base::internal_execute(tbb::interface7::internal::delegate_base&) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0x4e): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::is_group_execution_cancelled() const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0x73): undefined reference to `tbb::interface5::internal::task_base::destroy(tbb::task&)'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0x87): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::~task_group_context()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0xe3): undefined reference to `tbb::interface7::internal::task_arena_base::internal_terminate()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0xf1): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::reset()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0x10b): undefined reference to `tbb::interface7::internal::task_arena_base::internal_initialize()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD1Ev]+0x12e): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::reset()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0x44): undefined reference to `tbb::interface7::internal::task_arena_base::internal_execute(tbb::interface7::internal::delegate_base&) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0x4f): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::is_group_execution_cancelled() const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0x74): undefined reference to `tbb::interface5::internal::task_base::destroy(tbb::task&)'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0x88): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::~task_group_context()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0xf3): undefined reference to `tbb::interface7::internal::task_arena_base::internal_terminate()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0x101): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::reset()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0x11b): undefined reference to `tbb::interface7::internal::task_arena_base::internal_initialize()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev[__ZN3tbb4flow11interface105graphD0Ev]+0x13e): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::reset()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text.unlikely+0xf3): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_root_with_context_proxy::free(tbb::task&) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text.unlikely+0xff): undefined reference to `tbb::task_group_context::~task_group_context()'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.text.unlikely+0x118): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_root_with_context_proxy::free(tbb::task&) const'
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/9.2.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: parPlaneSweep.o:parPlaneSweep.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTVN3tbb10interface98internal9flag_taskE[__ZTVN3tbb10interface98internal9flag_taskE]+0x14): undefined reference to `tbb::task::note_affinity(unsigned short)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:10: recipe for target 'pps' failed
make: *** [pps] Error 1

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Hello, did you build tbb library from sources or you are trying to link to libraries from the package? AFIAR the package does not have mingw libraries.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Katz__Kyler
Beginner

Hello, I do believe that is my problem. From looking closer at the TBB files I have, they are only for VC 14. I had attempted to get the needed files, however, I still wasn't able to get it to work. This is what I tried.

Since the repo I was using for mingw doesn't have TBB lib files, I downloaded MSY2S and than downloaded the files through this terminal. The files I got are libtbb.dll.a, libtbbmalloc.a, and libtbbmalloc_proxy.dll.a. I put these three files in C:\MinGW\lib using the same -ltbb I tried to compile again, but I am still getting the same error. Am I missing more files? Or am I just not linking the library correctly? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

did you build  libtbb.dll.a etc files from sources? also I suggest to use full library name in mingw environment, without -l (tbb.dll afair), not -ltbb.

0 Kudos
Katz__Kyler
Beginner

I am still very confused about why this isn't working. I have all of the files from this package installed in the correct directories https://packages.msys2.org/package/mingw-w64-x86_64-intel-tbb 

This is my current make file, thank you for your help. 

CC=gcc
CPLUSPLUS = g++ 
OPTFLAGS = -O3

all: pps

pps: avl.o main.o parPlaneSweep.o
    $(CPLUSPLUS) $(OPTFLAGS) -o OpenMP_vs_TBB_PPS avl.o main.o parPlaneSweep.o -fopenmp -ltbb.dll

avl.o: avl.h avl.c
    $(CC) -c $(OPTFLAGS) -fPIC avl.c

main.o: main.cpp parPlaneSweep.h
    $(CPLUSPLUS) -c $(OPTFLAGS) -fopenmp main.cpp 

parPlaneSweep.o: parPlaneSweep.h parPlaneSweep.cpp
    $(CPLUSPLUS) -c $(OPTFLAGS) -fPIC -fopenmp parPlaneSweep.cpp

clean:
    rm *.o
    rm pps

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Hello, did you try my suggestion to pass the full library name without -l? I see -ltbb.dll. Also it would be good to understand if right linker environment variables are set up. to check this you can try to put the correct tbb.dll to the same folder where *.o files are located.

thank you,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
Katz__Kyler
Beginner

Hello, 

When you say full library name do you mean just like this? 

pps: avl.o main.o parPlaneSweep.o
	$(CPLUSPLUS) $(OPTFLAGS) -o OpenMP_vs_TBB_PPS avl.o main.o parPlaneSweep.o -fopenmp libtbb.dll.a

Or do I need the absolute path to the file? I think the first part is what you mean, but I just want to make sure. 

I also just put the libtbb.dll.a file in the same folder as *.o files are located and tried to run make. However, I am still getting the same undefined reference errors as before; with both adjustments.  

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.  

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

tbb.dll

$(CPLUSPLUS) $(OPTFLAGS) -o OpenMP_vs_TBB_PPS avl.o main.o parPlaneSweep.o -fopenmp tbb.dll

full path also should help to debug a problem with environment.

0 Kudos
Katz__Kyler
Beginner

With this approach, "tbb.dll" I am getting a no such file or directory error. I have the libtbb.dll.a file in the same directory. 

0 Kudos