Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Concurrent_Vector's push_back guarantees

robert_jay_gould
Beginner
What guarantee's does Concurrent_Vector's push_back have? If I push items onto it, will they be inserted in order (temporally)?

say:
time 0 time 1
thread1 : pushA
thread2 : pushB pushC

is there a guarantee that C will be placed after A, and B (A and B's order with respect to each other isn't important)
Or I could end up with B-C-A for example?

On a side note the comment in concurrent_vector.h on line 623 for the compact method is outdated
//! Optimize memory usage and fragmentation. Returns true if optimization occurred.
void compact();

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anton_M_Intel
Employee
What guarantee's does Concurrent_Vector's push_back have? If I push items onto it, will they be inserted in order (temporally)?
say:
time 0 time 1
thread1 : pushA
thread2 : pushB pushC

is there a guarantee that C will be placed after A, and B (A and B's order with respect to each other isn't important)
Or I could end up with B-C-A for example?
It could end up with B-C-A unless you have a barrier between time 0 and time 1 (or tasks' relationship). So, without a synchronization of threads, the only guaranteed order is B-C.
But it's not guaranteed that they will have consecutive indexes since B-A-C is also possible. Such an assurance can be given by grow_by(2) call.

On a side note the comment in concurrent_vector.h on line 623 for the compact method is outdated
//! Optimize memory usage and fragmentation. Returns true if optimization occurred.
void compact();
Thanks, I'll fix it.