Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Failing in running test_malloc_compliance

johnsonjthomas
Beginner
Hi,

I am porting TBB 2.2 to HPUX IA64 platform. As mentioned in the attached file, there are some errors when running the /src/test/test_malloc_compliance.cpp and some other files under test directory. The errors are such that functions such as getpagesize() and other functions are not defined. I included the appropriate header files and it runs test_maloc_functionality fine but when it tries to run test_malloc_compliance it hangs, actually the entire system hangs. I dont know why this happens. Could anyone suggest a method to solve this problem?. If I leave the errors just like that (ie. not define getpagesize() ) then it runs the examples perfectly. Is it necessary that the /src/test/ directory also be built? . Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Johnson
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alexandr_K_Intel1
Most probable reason for the entire system hangs is failing to set memory limits. That's strange because in HP-UX man page at http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60103/getrlimit.2.html I don't see special notes on RLIMIT_AS support that we use for limiting proposes. You can find more exact information on hang by running test_malloc_compliance with -v key, i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./test_malloc_compliance.exe -v 1.

By the way, output file you attached is identical to the attachment in "ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol" thread.
0 Kudos
johnsonjthomas
Beginner
Hi Alexandr,

When test_malloc_compliance.exe is running, the system hangs. Actually there was one thing that I forgot to mention, it was showing an error "ulimit: specified value greater than user allowed". This error was at line no: 39 in /build/test_launcher.sh. I checked the configuration of the system using ulimit -aH and found out that the allowed stack size or maximum is 8152 and the specified value in test_launcher.sh was 10240. I reduced this value to 8000 and thats when this whole error of hanging took place. Hopefully this could bring more light into the problem. Btw I attached the same file since the errors regarding the undefining of getpagesize() and various such errors are present in this file.

Thanks,
Johnson
0 Kudos
Alexandr_K_Intel1
When test_malloc_compliance.exe is running, the system hangs.

So, could you detect (either using -v or by bisection in a debugger) on which exactly step test_malloc_compliance.exe and the system hang? Another possible useful technique is looking at memory usage by test_malloc_compliance.exe in another terminal window. If it becameunusually high (as you can see limit is 200 MB per thread) it might be sign of setrlimit-releated problem.
0 Kudos
johnsonjthomas
Beginner
Hi Alexandr,

I tried running test_malloc_compliance.exe individually using the command ./test_malloc_compliance.exe -v 1, I get the following error
The memory manager cannot access sufficient memory to initialize; exiting

Hopefully this is useful

Thanks,
Johnson
0 Kudos
Alexandr_K_Intel1
Could you find which exactly MapMemory call returns no memory and what errno it set? By the way, are you map MapMemory to something special or it calls malloc?
0 Kudos
johnsonjthomas
Beginner
Hi Alexandr,

I tried using the -v with ./test_malloc_compliance.exe and this is the output I got. I have attached the output with this post.

Thanks,
Johnson
0 Kudos
Alexandr_K_Intel1
Could you try to comment out NULLReturn call? If it helps, the reason is a problem in memory limit implementation by OS. Then, you can try to create isolated test case agains setrlimit.
0 Kudos