Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Free commercial license?

pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
In the TBB FAQ on www.threadingbuildingblocks.org, I read that there is a free commercial license available (without support). I have searched the commercial www.threadingbuildingblocks.com site, but cannot find a way to apply for it. It sounds strange to me that such a license is available .. am I misreading the FAQ?

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
4 Replies
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - pvonkaenel
In the TBB FAQ on www.threadingbuildingblocks.org, I read that there is a free commercial license available (without support). I have searched the commercial www.threadingbuildingblocks.com site, but cannot find a way to apply for it. It sounds strange to me that such a license is available .. am I misreading the FAQ?

There is in fact a non-commercial license web page that lives as a link off the product evaluation page, http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-evaluation-center/#free. Unfortunately for Intel Threading Building Blocks, if I follow all the links, itleads mebackto the TBB product page. Probably not where you expected to land ;-).

What is it you're looking for in an unsupported non-commercial TBB license that you don't get from the open source site? The only thing I can think is missing is the actual installer--you'll need to unzip or detar packages from the OSS site rather than running a self-extracting execution file. I'll see what we can do about breaking the evaluation link cycle described above, but it would help to know exactly what it is in a non-commercial TBB release that you'd like to get that is not already available at openTBB.org.
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

There is in fact a non-commercial license web page that lives as a link off the product evaluation page, http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-evaluation-center/#free. Unfortunately for Intel Threading Building Blocks, if I follow all the links, itleads mebackto the TBB product page. Probably not where you expected to land ;-).

What is it you're looking for in an unsupported non-commercial TBB license that you don't get from the open source site? The only thing I can think is missing is the actual installer--you'll need to unzip or detar packages from the OSS site rather than running a self-extracting execution file. I'll see what we can do about breaking the evaluation link cycle described above, but it would help to know exactly what it is in a non-commercial TBB release that you'd like to get that is not already available at openTBB.org.

It's probaably just my lack of understanding of what you have to do with a library that is licensed under the GPL v2 with runtime exception. The commercial license is quite clear and concise. With the GPL v2 with runtime exception do you need to have any explicit notification that the OSS library is being used as part of the package on a splash screen? I've put together a plug-in that uses TBB, but which is not open source. This plug-in is going to be distributed with the software that it plugs into (also not open source). Do the distributors of the package need to have and display any open sourcenotices?

I'd be happy to use the OSS license, I just don't know what I'm required to do. When I read about the free commercial license, it sounded like an easy way not to worry about it.

Peter
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

One more note. The FAQ at threadingbuildingblocks.org says that free commercial licenses are available (not non-commercial). See the "How is TBB licensed?" section in the FAQ. Is this a typo?

Peter
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - pvonkaenel

One more note. The FAQ at threadingbuildingblocks.org says that free commercial licenses are available (not non-commercial). See the "How is TBB licensed?" section in the FAQ. Is this a typo?

I suspect that is a typo. Intel has a standard policy regarding free noncommercial licenses: that license you were extolling for its simplicity has a section on noncommercial-use licenses. I cannot comment on the GPL license, however, only refer you to it.
0 Kudos