Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
2421 Discussions

How to do a parallel_reduce in TBB to append std::vector?

luca_l_
Beginner

I've defined this reduction in OpenMP:

std::vector<FindAffineShapeArgs> v;
    #pragma omp declare reduction(mergeFindAffineShapeArgs : std::vector<FindAffineShapeArgs> : omp_out.insert(omp_out.end(), omp_in.begin(), omp_in.end()))
    #pragma omp parallel for collapse(2) schedule(dynamic,1) reduction(mergeFindAffineShapeArgs : findAffineShapeArgs)
    for(int i=0; i<n; i++){
       v.push_back(//something);
    }

In few words, the reduction operation appends each local version of `v` to the global one.

I've never used TBB before, but I've read this, this and this tutorial, but I don't even understand if this is even possible in TBB.

Can someone help me with this please?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alexei_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Luca,

Let me show the idea with lambda-based interface. The idea is similar to the OpenMP version: we need to specify the reduction loop with the first lambda and the reduction operation with the second lambda. With std::vector<int>() we specify the identity value (the value used to initialize each partial result).

std::vector<int> v = tbb::parallel_reduce(tbb::blocked_range<int>(0, n), std::vector<int>(),
        [](const tbb::blocked_range<int>& r, std::vector<int> v) -> std::vector<int> {
            for (int i = r.begin(); i != r.end(); ++i)
                v.push_back(i);
            return v;
        },
        [](std::vector<int> v1, std::vector<int> v2) -> std::vector<int> {
            v1.insert(v1.end(), v2.cbegin(), v2.cend());
            return v1;
        }
    );

Regards,
Alex