Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
2421 Discussions

Installation Linux without sudo rights; Android.mk and undefined reference.

Christian_G_1
Beginner

Hello,

I am a non-linux expert but its getting better...however I do not get how I can make it work. First a very basic question:

1. Question: Do I have to install or run anything on Linux in order to use TBB? Or do I just have to write the correct Android.mk? I still dont get it because I saw some people installing it using g++ test1.cpp -ltbb and sudo apt-get install tbb-examples. In my "TBB-main-folder"/bin are two files named tbbvars.csh and tbbvars.sh. As someone posted in a forum I used sh tbbvars.sh in that folder but I got the message ERROR: Unknown switch ''. Accepted values: ia32, intel64, android

I have an Android project with a working JNI environment. So my basic Android.mk is set up and works fine with some C++ functions. Moreover the TooN library has also been included using Android.mk (so I even got an example!). Now my Android.mk looks like this, whereas the bold letters are what I added:
MY_LOCAL_PATH:= $(call my-dir)
LOCAL_PATH:= $(MY_LOCAL_PATH)
TBB_PATH := /folderA/folderB/folderC/"TBB-main-folder"
include $(CLEAR_VARS)

LOCAL_MODULE    := mainfile
LOCAL_SRC_FILES :=     class1.cpp      \
                    folder/class2.cpp                \
                    folder/class3.cpp                \                   
LOCAL_CFLAGS += -DTBB_USE_GCC_BUILTINS -std=c++11 -I/$(TBB_PATH)/include
LOCAL_CFLAGS :=-D__GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ -DANDROID (=> the setting I had before by default)
LOCAL_CPPFLAGS  := -std=c++11

ifeq ($(TARGET_ARCH_ABI),armeabi-v7a)
    LOCAL_CFLAGS += -DM_HAVE_NEON -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon -march=armv7-a -funsafe-math-optimizations -mfpu=neon
    LOCAL_ARM_NEON := true
endif

LOCAL_LDLIBS +=  -llog -landroid -ldl -lEGL -lGLESv2 -ltbb -L./ (=> when I include it HERE it gives me the error that it cant find ltbb and not even compiles)
LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES += TooN gvars3

include $(BUILD_SHARED_LIBRARY)
$(call import-module,TooN)

LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)

LOCAL_PATH := $(TBB_PATH)/lib/android/

include $(CLEAR_VARS)
LOCAL_MODULE    := tbb-native
LOCAL_SRC_FILES := libtbb.so \
include $(PREBUILT_SHARED_LIBRARY)
-L$(TBB_PATH)/lib/android/    \
LOCAL_LDLIBS += -ltbb -L. (=> when I include it HERE it compiles but I get a long list of compiler error messages)

include $(BUILD_SHARED_LIBRARY)

I get the following error messages in my compiler:
In function `operator new(unsigned long, tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy const&)':
//scratch_net/biwidl104/chdorn/TBB/include/tbb/task.h:984: undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy::allocate(unsigned long) etc.................

2. Question: In some other posts the answer was usually "you should add the tbb library to the linker command line". I have no idea what it means, should I install something or change my Android.mk?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_P_Intel2

Hello Christian, I suggest to start from the tutorial https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/android-tutorial-writing-a-multithreaded-application-using-intel-threading-building-blocks. 

Christian G. wrote:

1. Question: Do I have to install or run anything on Linux in order to use TBB? Or do I just have to write the correct Android.mk? I still dont get it because I saw some people installing it using g++ test1.cpp -ltbb and sudo apt-get install tbb-examples. In my "TBB-main-folder"/bin are two files named tbbvars.csh and tbbvars.sh. As someone posted in a forum I used sh tbbvars.sh in that folder but I got the message ERROR: Unknown switch ''. Accepted values: ia32, intel64, android

sudo apt-get install tbb-examples is used on Linux OSes where tbb is availalbe in the repository. we propose to use the latest bits from https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/download. there is simple zip archive to unpack. android libraries are availalbe in linux binary package. For example for TBB 4.3 U1 https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/sites/default/files/software_releases/linux/tbb43_20141023oss_lin.tgz. tbbvars.sh script does not help for android

In the folder /folderA/folderB/folderC/"TBB-main-folder"/examples/parallel_for/tachyon/android/jni/Android.mk you can find an example which should work out of the box (at least native part).

Christian G. wrote:

LOCAL_LDLIBS +=  -llog -landroid -ldl -lEGL -lGLESv2 -ltbb -L./ (=> when I include it HERE it gives me the error that it cant find ltbb and not even compiles)

You need to have a library for required architecture and set a path to it. For IA32 for U1 it will be

LOCAL_LDLIBS +=  -llog -landroid -ldl -lEGL -lGLESv2 -ltbb -L./ -L.$(TBB_PATH)/lib/android

_without tailing slash_. For other architectures the library needs to be built from sources

Christian G. wrote:

-L$(TBB_PATH)/lib/android/    \

LOCAL_LDLIBS += -ltbb -L. (=> when I include it HERE it compiles but I get a long list of compiler error messages)

I get the following error messages in my compiler:
In function `operator new(unsigned long, tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy const&)':
//scratch_net/biwidl104/chdorn/TBB/include/tbb/task.h:984: undefined reference to `tbb::internal::allocate_continuation_proxy::allocate(unsigned long) etc.................

This means that TBB is not  found. Why did you include "-L$(TBB_PATH)/lib/android/" before "LOCAL_LDLIBS"?

Christian G. wrote:

2. Question: In some other posts the answer was usually "you should add the tbb library to the linker command line". I have no idea what it means, should I install something or change my Android.mk?

this basically means -ltbb. Or

LOCAL_LDLIBS +=  -llog -landroid -ldl -lEGL -lGLESv2 -ltbb -L./ -L.$(TBB_PATH)/lib/android