Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
2465 Discussions

Is enumerable thread specific the right choice here?

Adri_C__S_
Beginner
Hi,

I've got a vector with id's of particles objects [from a preexistent class Particle, that has a private attribute called next_event. It stores the id of the next particle that is scheduled to collide]. What I want is to simulate the effects of the collisions of these particles locally and, when finished, check if there are any inconsistencies between them and update the global state.

I was planning to simulate each particle collision in a task, saving the results in, for example, tbb::enumerable_thread_specific> and using continuation-passing style, where the continuation would do the check_and_save job.

So, my question is if it is possible to rejoin the local data of each task into a new vector in the continuation. Or should it be done in a global process outside a task?

Sorry if you don't understand a thing, I tried to explain it as clear as I could (also sorry about my english).

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Have you considered creating a shared vector of thread_specific vectors, where each thread uses TLS to remember its own thread_specific vector.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Adri_C__S_
Beginner
I don't clearly get it...
Each thread has ETS vector, which is stored in the global shared vector. Is that it?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Yes, or they can have an allocated standard template library vector (since it is not shared other than for collation).

Jim
0 Kudos
Adri_C__S_
Beginner
Ok!! I'll give it a try!

Thanks Jim!!
0 Kudos
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee

Have you considered creating a shared vector of thread_specific vectors, where each thread uses TLS to remember its own thread_specific vector.

This is what class enumerable_thread_specific< vector >does, basically; it is a shared container of thread-local instances.
0 Kudos