Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Is this TBB roadmap still accurate?

robert_jay_gould
Beginner

I was just looking for TBB's current roadmap and found this article:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007/10/12/threading-building-blocks-product-roadmap/

It says roadmap on it, but it's from 2007, so I was wondering if things have changed.

By taking a quick look at it and the current situation it seems IO has gotten postponed, which

in my case is ok, since I use ASIO for IO, but was wondering if TBB is still considering IO, or if

it was deemed to be outside of the problem-domain?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II

I was just looking for TBB's current roadmap and found this article:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007/10/12/threading-building-blocks-product-roadmap/

It says roadmap on it, but it's from 2007, so I was wondering if things have changed.

By taking a quick look at it and the current situation it seems IO has gotten postponed, which

in my case is ok, since I use ASIO for IO, but was wondering if TBB is still considering IO, or if

it was deemed to be outside of the problem-domain?

Thanks

Well, that post being over a year old, you can easily guess that things have changed. You'll note that most of the items listed in that plan havebecome part of TBB. I/O and blocking were issues then and remain so now because of the difficulty of the problem. The tbb_thread implementation of the C++0X (at the time) proposed standard was released asa safety valve, permitting those needing access to asynchronous tasks in the context of a TBB application the ability to do so in a platform independent manner. The more general problem of keeping all the HW threads busy in a graph of task order dependencies with bounded memory while avoiding oversubscription remains a difficult problem.

robert_jay_gould
Beginner

Well, that post being over a year old, you can easily guess that things have changed. You'll note that most of the items listed in that plan havebecome part of TBB. I/O and blocking were issues then and remain so now because of the difficulty of the problem. The tbb_thread implementation of the C++0X (at the time) proposed standard was released asa safety valve, permitting those needing access to asynchronous tasks in the context of a TBB application the ability to do so in a platform independent manner. The more general problem of keeping all the HW threads busy in a graph of task order dependencies with bounded memory while avoiding oversubscription remains a difficult problem.

Yes, that's why I was wondering, the roadmap seemed 80% complete (most features there were already implemented). Also thanks for clearing up a bit on the current status of the other features. Right now I feel TBB has become well rounded and very good at its problem domain (Modern C++ threading "blocks").

Dmitry_Vyukov
Valued Contributor I

Yes, that's why I was wondering, the roadmap seemed 80% complete (most features there were already implemented). Also thanks for clearing up a bit on the current status of the other features. Right now I feel TBB has become well rounded and very good at its problem domain (Modern C++ threading "blocks").

Since TBB is open-source project with community contributions, but developed and maintained by Intel development group, I think it will be useful if there will be up-to-date roadmap. Maybe some periodically updated document, or just periodic blog/forum posts (probably once per release). I would take a look at it.