Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

License question regarding TBB used by OpenCV

chatelier__pierre
Hello,
I have a question regarding TBB's license.
As far as I understand, the "free version" is GPL, not LGPL, which means that I am not allowed to embed tbb.dll in a commercial software. I would need a commercial TBB license (even if I don't care about TBB's commercial support). Right ?
Now, the default precompiled builds of OpenCV 2.3.1 (which is BSD licensed) require TBB to run. If my understanding is correct, it does not change anything : I cannot distribute a commercial software, linking with such an OpenCV build, and embeding tbb.dll, if I apply only to TBB's Open source license. Right ?
But in that particular case, my commercial program would not directly link with tbb.dll ; it is weakly used (but required) by OpenCV. Is it a special case of license use ?
The TBB's license FAQ is rather poor regarding what is allowed or not. I hope someone will be able to give some extra explanations.
Regards,
Pierre Chatelier
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
Note that the license is GPL with runtime exception.
0 Kudos
zaferatt
Beginner
What if I'm using OpenCV as static library and now TBB being directly called throughmy proprietary software. Will this runtime exception stillbe applied?
0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
I did correct the oversight above, but please draw your own conclusions.
0 Kudos