Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

MinGW support

gianpatt
Beginner
Hello,
is MinGW compiler support planned for next TBB release?

I download a patch for MinGW for TBBtbb21_20080605 but on last release i don't see any MinGW related file.

Thanks!
Gian
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
And now there's also "[windup] TBB for MinGW"... but if you want to learn only one thing from TBB, it should be that the goal is to create parallel slack by dividing the work into more tasks, not to create more threads.

Anyway, for my best advice follow the last reference in my previous posting.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

MinGW support was added to the 20090511 development release. Try it!)
0 Kudos
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee
The basic support for MinGW has been added (see the announcement right above). It is only available in source code form; for the moment there isno plans to provide binaries.

To compile TBB, make sure you properly set up the MinGW environment and tool chain, and run the following:
gmake compiler=gcc

Be aware however that it does not work reliably, which I think isdue to MinGW weakness in supporting exception propagation across thread and DLL boundaries (the corresponding support was added just recently as far as I can judge, and seems for more complex cases like in TBB it might not work correctly). Some exception related checks in TBB unit tests have been switched off (see __TBB_EXCEPTION_HANDLING_BROKEN macro; I have to set it on for MinGW); despite that, some tests might fail in ugly ways. Of course there might be some issues in our code, e.g. some implicit assumptions about compiler that I overlooked, so if you find anything that can be improved for better MinGW support please tell us.

Also, building TBB examples with MinGW is not supported yet; it will follow later.
0 Kudos